Hybrid View

I did a prop change this weekend also, but luckily it was because I hadn't put my better prop on from the last time it was damaged.

Ron (rsinger) - how did you do that much damage to your prop idling onto your trailer? Did you hit the concrete from the ramp? Ouch, bet you felt sick when you heard the sound of that strike.
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

Just made two phone calls, the first to Acme and I will be sending them my 1617 for repair, the second to WM and I got a 1235 being sent down, it will be here Wednesday.

Now I just need to find out if Oroville is accessible, two weeks ago when we were there it seemed like we were at the end of the ramp.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    Ron (rsinger) - how did you do that much damage to your prop idling onto your trailer? Did you hit the concrete from the ramp? Ouch, bet you felt sick when you heard the sound of that strike.
    X marks the spot. It should have never happened. This is a city launch. I called them the next day to shut it down until they find out whats out there. The side of the prop must have just glanced of whatever was down there. The rudder never touched anything, and it's lower than the prop.

Last edited by rsinger; 08-27-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

Al, sad to see that. Glad you all are ok.

If you don't mind, shoot me over the details (PM or email) from the AWS repair quote and I can compare notes with you from when I went through this exact same thing a while back. They provided a spreadsheet with line items.

After my previous dealings with them I'd seriously consider letting your insurance know the numbers and then look into the shops Newty and others recommended for the actual work...

(when I first saw this - I was thinking it was going to be some gory shots of a leg half cut off. glad that it wasn't!)
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Lake Ouachita last year, what little gelcoat damage you see is quite expensive to fix. My total bill came to 7K
    P6230775.jpg
    P6250916.jpg2012-06-25 16.44.07.jpg2012-06-25 16.44.24.jpg2012-06-25 16.44.46.jpg
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

That 7K was gelcoat, new 1847 prop (one that was damaged was only month old), strut and rudder

2012-06-26 08.38.33.jpg2012-06-26 08.38.56.jpg
    Last edited by Clamcakes; 08-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Update: The extend of the damage is:
    Bent up prop
    Bent prop shaft
    Bent prop shaft strut
    Gouge in gelcoat
    Stress cracks in gelcoat at the strut mounting bolts.

The gelcoat damage is all cosmetic – no structural damage. The repair estimate was just north of $5,000. I heard back from my insurance company today – they mailed me a check for the full amount less my $80 deductible last Friday. They took 10 days to turn it around but I am very relieved that they are going to pay for all of the damage. I will probably replace all the underwater gear myself then pay someone to do the gelcoat repair. I will also be adding a dripless shaft seal while I am at it (since mine has the packing rope seal).

FYI, I have the “Yacht” policy with BoatUS for which I pay $270/year and had a $320 deductible to start. Every year that I don’t file a claim, they refund 10% of the premium and reduce the deductible by 25% (until it goes down to $80, then it goes no lower). So since I have been with them for a few years and this is my first claim, my deductible was only $80. So glad I insured with them!

I have been paying insurance on this boat and my previous boat for 22 years combined and this is the first time I have ever filed a claim so I guess I’m glad I a getting something out of all those years of paying insurance .
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Glad to hear you are going to be well taken care of. I need to shop my policy this winter. Paying too much.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Glad to hear you are going to be well taken care of. I need to shop my policy this winter. Paying too much.
    let me know what you go with
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart