Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
I would agree to disagree when living in the city. out in more rural or acreage settings do what you like but in town where houses are close together.....
hoa's get a bad rap from power-trip board members. most I have been in are reasonable.

last thing I want is my next door neighbor turning his front yard into a boat/rv/car graveyard or a homeless encampment/tinyhouse community. it's worth a few inconveniences to me to ensure the neighborhood aesthetics are protected which keeps up my property values.
I love the good old HOA debate.

I can appreciate that having a junkyard or tiny home village in people's front yard would be bad. But those things are already not allowed under city or county code.

In my case, I have a little 6900 sqft lot. I have 12' of gravel RV parking beside my garage with a garage door on the back side of the 3rd bay and a mix of concrete and gravel behind the garage and fence. We realized that if I converted the double gate to a big single gate, I could get the boat back there! Even with the tower down, the boat has zero chance of fitting in my little 20' deep garage with 7' doors. Building a metal carport was the best thing I ever did, as it's protected my boat and camper big time.

However, the only way that a carport would be feasible is if I built it right on the property line with no setback. I talked to my neighbor, and he was understanding and cool with it. The only time you even see the carport is for like 1.5 seconds as you drive past my RV parking if you looked back between the two houses (which are 17 feet apart not counting eves).

Having the ability to park my boat and truck/camper back there behind the fence has been a godsend. It's just better for everyone. I never use neighborhood Street parking. Everyone wins. But if we had an HOA, I can guarantee they wouldn't have let me do a zero setback carport.

And yeah, my neighbor essentially added a 2nd driveway and extended half a lane worth of concrete on either side of his primary 2 car driveway. But none of this has affected my property value, and given that I've lived there since 2001 and have no intention of moving until maybe retirement, increased property value just means paying more taxes.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk