Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot Boom

Hybrid View

I have a tapered B.I. boom that I switch between my 05' Malibu and my 07' and 08' Outbacks. It is not as tapered as FlatH2O's, but fits just as well. There is only 2 minor drawbacks.
    1) The chine spray is wider on the Outbacks than the Malibu so you may want to buy an boom extension if you are planning on teaching people to barefoot. The chine spray can mess up beginners to barefooting. Not a problem if you are teaching wakeboarding.
    2) The pylon can only be mounted toward the passenger side on the Outback because of seat to motorbox area. On the Malibu (and at the barefoot ski schools) are mounted it on the driver's side so it is easier to see the skier. Again this is minor.

Sled491 Guest

Deerfield, I have to agree with this tapered pole thing. The few MC's I ski with all have the boom brackets mounted on there pylons and it is right at Fr#$@&^ shin height so the taper at that point would be minimal. I'm sure for the right price some one with your skills could get it to work.

When you get set up I want to be one of the 1st to try to barefoot off it. I used to get up old school with a big rigid foam surf board

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    Deerfield, I have to agree with this tapered pole thing. The few MC's I ski with all have the boom brackets mounted on there pylons and it is right at Fr#$@&^ shin height so the taper at that point would be minimal. I'm sure for the right price some one with your skills could get it to work.

When you get set up I want to be one of the 1st to try to barefoot off it. I used to get up old school with a big rigid foam surf board
    Sled - You are on! As per above, I'm gonna' find a boom that will mount on the driver side to avoid banging shins and get an extension to avoid chine spray. I'll drive and you can show my boys how to foot. Promise me that when you FACE PLANT you'll act like it does not hurt. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I think the only way you can mount the boom on the driver's side is having the seat all the way forward. The seat, on the Outback, goes behind the front of the motor box making it difficult to put a curved or straight boom on that side. The only other option is to buy one that mounts to tower, if you want it on the driver's side. Otherwise the passengers have to step over the boom.

Hope this helps.

Sled491 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by barefooterh2o View Post
    I think the only way you can mount the boom on the driver's side is having the seat all the way forward. The seat, on the Outback, goes behind the front of the motor box making it difficult to put a curved or straight boom on that side. The only other option is to buy one that mounts to tower, if you want it on the driver's side. Otherwise the passengers have to step over the boom.

Hope this helps.
    Oh deerfield that may be a problem for you with your height.

As for faking the faceplant not hurting, well I'll do my best. Of course laughter is the best cure for that, and I'm sure the boys will have no problem laughing at my demise

Update: I am buying a Barefoot International Model B202 Universal Contour Boom and Model B110 Boom Extension. A guy by the name of Mike Seipel from Barefoot International called my house today. With him on the phone, he had me measure the distance from tow pylon center point to base of Rad-A-Cage tower rear mounts. He said this model will fit and work from both the driver and passenger sides without modification. Also, just as barefooterh2o said, the extension will keep people clear of the chine spray. Guy was helpful. Gave me tips about the setup. He said to call him back on his cell phone and he would walk me through the install. Price is $469 for boom and $69 for extension. No sales tax. No shipping cost. Will take pics of the install and someone enjoying a ride behind the boom. Look for Sled's smilin' face this spring! I appreciate all the advice. Thanks, guys. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Sled491 Guest

Man the pressure is on now

Congrats, sounds like another good addition to the Ole Outback.

Lookin forward to it though, should be a lot of fun...when I'm not face planting!

Default Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Update: I am buying a Barefoot International Model B202 Universal Contour Boom and Model B110 Boom Extension. A guy by the name of Mike Seipel from Barefoot International called my house today. With him on the phone, he had me measure the distance from tow pylon center point to base of Rad-A-Cage tower rear mounts. He said this model will fit and work from both the driver and passenger sides without modification. Also, just as barefooterh2o said, the extension will keep people clear of the chine spray. Guy was helpful. Gave me tips about the setup. He said to call him back on his cell phone and he would walk me through the install. Price is $469 for boom and $69 for extension. No sales tax. No shipping cost. Will take pics of the install and someone enjoying a ride behind the boom. Look for Sled's smilin' face this spring! I appreciate all the advice. Thanks, guys. - Deerfield
    Hey Deerfield,

We just purchased a 2007 Outback and BFI recommended the same setup. Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

How is the side spray?
    When you have it installed how far does it sit past the windshield (I will need to find and install an after market tower, any tower recommendations)?
    Lastly have you tried mounting it on the driver’s side? How far forward do you have to have the driver’s seat, enough room to get in and out of the seat?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by barefooterh2o View Post
    I have a tapered B.I. boom that I switch between my 05' Malibu and my 07' and 08' Outbacks. It is not as tapered as FlatH2O's, but fits just as well. There is only 2 minor drawbacks.
    1) The chine spray is wider on the Outbacks than the Malibu so you may want to buy an boom extension if you are planning on teaching people to barefoot. The chine spray can mess up beginners to barefooting. Not a problem if you are teaching wakeboarding.
    2) The pylon can only be mounted toward the passenger side on the Outback because of seat to motorbox area. On the Malibu (and at the barefoot ski schools) are mounted it on the driver's side so it is easier to see the skier. Again this is minor.
    barefooterh2o - VERY helpful information - both points. Will see about getting an extension and try finding a boom that will fit to mount on the driver's side. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Smile

Brought home the new Barefoot International boom. In addition, I bought an extension (to get people beyond reach of the chine spray) and barefoot handle (for more comfortable grip). The dealer gave me pointers on installation and use of the boom. After taking these pictures I put her away in the garage. Season starts in April, if I am lucky. My sons are interested in learning how to barefoot. In addition, we sometimes have guests on the boat who want to succeed but just can't get up long line on skis or wakeboard. Boom is the answer. This is a GREAT addition to the toys. Watch for pictures this summer!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart