Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default New 2022 Makai pricing

2019 SE and SL > 2023 Makai as far as tech and luxury. 2019’s should still have a year of powertrain warranty and maybe more as they came with 5 to 7 years depending when it was bought.

The powertrain on these boats are robust, you really don’t hear of too many engine/trans or v drive failures and those hours are not high at all.

Pocket the $10k savings and apply in case you have an out of warranty situation in the next 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

See if this link works. It has some of the going prices for recent used Makai's.
    https://www.onlyinboards.com/Used-sk...me=5&Model=445

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HFarr; 01-25-2023 at 05:28 PM.
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I'd jump on a lower hour used supra if it was my coin. 400+hrs is high for my personal taste but I'd look at something in the 200 range. Larry is right that the drivetrain is pretty bulletproof but depending on care, 400+ can start to show some age on upholstery and the little things going wrong.
    I shy'ed away from supra in the past as the boats didn't really surf as well as some others but in the last 5-6 years, supra has REALLY upped their hulls and the SL I surfed last summer was amazing.

on the resale topic, it's pretty apparent with the number listed on OI that sales appear to be softening and I'd not want to be in a 2023 at this point with dealers still commanding either msrp or single digit discounts and all the other BS charges that have worked their way into the deals over the last 3 years. all imo
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

So....I bought the 5 yr old boat over new in 2020 before things got out of hand. Interest rates were low and I didn't have to finance for +20yrs. This was a huge factor for me and now after a few years of ownership and self maintenance I'm still ahead.

Pros: kept money in your pocket, still having fun, don't get too excited over spills/crumbs/etc., used extra money for boards, vest, ropes and lake vacations.

Cons: No warranty. Having to fix yourself or pay $$. Missing tech (pro side less to go wrong) wear and tear from previous ownership.

As said, power train is not a concern. These things are rock solid and easy to work on (hard to reach sometimes). The hull, interior, and electronics would be my warranty items if at all. However it's your money. Do you want a new boat with less luxury or a gently used one with higher grade items? It's the Toyota vs Lexus question....good luck!

P.S. I want a Supra after having my Mojo.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Supra had a big change in 2018 with the revised surf system and software. The SA and SL (first year) were awesome. Any boat that I had the chance of riding, surf or wakeboarding, were dialed in and great to ride on.

2018 Supra SL400

Supra...all day.

Especially if you can bargain a little bit more. Remember, interest rates are higher than they have been in a while and that could be to your negotiating advantage. If you plan on upgrading to a new boat in a few years anyway, might as well make THAT one the new boat purchase.

Also.. I don't like the Makai with a 400. I don't live at sea level so I'm biased, but that's way too big of a boat for a 400 IMO.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    Supra...all day.

Especially if you can bargain a little bit more. Remember, interest rates are higher than they have been in a while and that could be to your negotiating advantage. If you plan on upgrading to a new boat in a few years anyway, might as well make THAT one the new boat purchase.

Also.. I don't like the Makai with a 400. I don't live at sea level so I'm biased, but that's way too big of a boat for a 400 IMO.
    I have a Makai with a 400, and upgraded WM bags. I can honestly say I have no power issues even with almost 5K of water and 10 people in the boat. Mostly surf all the time. I have the 15.5 x15 prop and am only about 237 ft above sea level however.

2021 Moomba Makai

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    I have a Makai with a 400, and upgraded WM bags. I can honestly say I have no power issues even with almost 5K of water and 10 people in the boat. Mostly surf all the time. I have the 15.5 x15 prop and am only about 237 ft above sea level however.
    Hfarr, what pitch do you normally run at? What are you setting your wake plate at? I'm amazed that elevation, me being at 3k, (-9% power), you being at sea level, could make that much of a difference between my boat and yours. If you're taking 5k water/lead ballast plus 10 mixed kids/adults, (say, another 1500-2000 lbs), and you're still using the stock 15.5x15 OJ??? Seems crazy to me that altitutde would be that much of a factor. If you have your wake plate at +25, or you're running 8 or 9 degree of pitch then I could see it.

I can't visualize what losing 9% power is like in this scenario. Is it 1mph per 5k lbs ballast or 1mph per 0.5 degree of pitch.

Things I think about.....
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    Hfarr, what pitch do you normally run at? What are you setting your wake plate at? I'm amazed that elevation, me being at 3k, (-9% power), you being at sea level, could make that much of a difference between my boat and yours. If you're taking 5k water/lead ballast plus 10 mixed kids/adults, (say, another 1500-2000 lbs), and you're still using the stock 15.5x15 OJ??? Seems crazy to me that altitutde would be that much of a factor. If you have your wake plate at +25, or you're running 8 or 9 degree of pitch then I could see it.

I can't visualize what losing 9% power is like in this scenario. Is it 1mph per 5k lbs ballast or 1mph per 0.5 degree of pitch.

Things I think about.....
    What pitch do you run? Once I hit 10, the load is exponential. 8.5-9.5, no problem.

But at 10, the wave is obnoxiously big.

SA400 16x13.9 1000feet heavy crew.

Greater than 10, I think the prop angle is fighting the boat and all efficiency is lost.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 01-26-2023 at 02:38 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I generally run anywhere from 10 mph to 11.5 mph and 10-15 on the wake plate depending on which of my kids are back there. Sometimes 22 degrees , and sometimes 0 when they ask for a really tall wave. My pitch is generally around 8. Sometimes a bit more or less depending on speed and who is back there. That seems to make a good wave. I have to be honest, I generally don't use
    Autowake. And yes I have the stock 15.5x 15 oj surf prop. 1.76 trans.

I have never had it at any other higher elevation lakes, so I can't help with that part of the question.

2021 Moomba Makai