Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Good Dealers?

Default Good Dealers?

Territories make sense for low volume recreational power sports like wakeboats.

Really not fair to think of it like an automotive dealer who effectively can just order more cars.

SC only makes roughly 2000 boats a year, they can’t make anymore.

Without territories, buyers would simply order from the cheapest dealer, cheapest dealer would make profit by volume and the small dealers would go out of business and thus kill SC footprint.

A healthy dealer network is vital to boat companies success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    “Charged more than the other guy”, with demand so high and the limited number of boats SC makes, it comes down to how bad someone wants a new one.

You’re going to pay.

Soon we will be taking about 2023 models and the new SE.

I don't want a new one that bad, I am buying new because used prices are asinine. Why would I pay more for a used boat than I can get new one? I don't mind paying a few grand more than the other guy, but I was quoted almost 20k difference between two dealers (for another brand, not skiers choice) That is where my frustration would come in. I have been happy with the skiers quotes, they also have Drew on here and he talks pretty transparently about pricing and MSRP/discounts.

Also, there are a lot of low post count screen names on this thread. Hopefully, they take the information/advice some of the senior members have provided in the thread. Or, Larry might have been right that it was just bots.

Quote Originally Posted by mgswake View Post
    Also, there are a lot of low post count screen names on this thread. Hopefully, they take the information/advice some of the senior members have provided in the thread. Or, Larry might have been right that it was just bots.
    Well stated. Though new members who just bought a boat do often join, you can look at the stats and if it says they have been a member since like "yesterday ", I would be a little suspect. Or at least think a little bit before taking their word for the gospel. Most of the bots or scammers always seem to steer you towards something related to a product they are pushing.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I personally joined early this year when I bought my new Moomba. Even though I had been boating for years with other brands and types, this forum has been great and very rich with good advice! Every time I did a "Google search" for something I wanted to know about my Makai, a link in the Moomba Forum would be at or near the top of the list. It didn't take me long to decide to join!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by mgswake View Post
    I don't want a new one that bad, I am buying new because used prices are asinine. Why would I pay more for a used boat than I can get new one? I don't mind paying a few grand more than the other guy, but I was quoted almost 20k difference between two dealers (for another brand, not skiers choice) That is where my frustration would come in. I have been happy with the skiers quotes, they also have Drew on here and he talks pretty transparently about pricing and MSRP/discounts.
    boat territories I get. larry is pretty spot on with the why. however if this is the way the boating world is going to work, pricing should be more like Bose where it's MAP pricing and discounts are consistent across all parties.

case in point. pricing out a new kaiyen last year. our "local" dealer has 3 locations all 4-5hrs from us. I bought a boat from a dealer in idaho back in '12 and they are 8hrs away. I was able to shop both dealers since over a couple hours away means we didn't really have a "local" and both were within 1.5k of each other. that's how it should be but both dealers are ONLY boats so wintertime business is slow. both were ordered boats so they didn't have to do much with the sale.
    ended up in a tige r23 instead. same "local" dealer with 3 locations 4-5hrs away sells tige as well. price came back in mid90's all in. we ended up buying from a dealer 1500 miles away since we don't have a "local" and their price all in plus delivery was 15k less than the "local" dealer. dealer I bought from also sells motorcycles in the summer and sleds in the winter so they don't need to make as much margin on product. this is what tilts the playing field for some.

some will tout service. we are trailering no matter the purchase for any major stuff but what made it easy for us was knowing that if we had small issues with our tige, we could get parts sent to us directly only having to return the defect. for some that's a dealbreaker but since I do most of my own wrenching.... I haven't ever bought a boat based on dealer service. not everyone feels the same way.

bottom line, do your research and I agree with what's posted above. why should I be handcuffed to a local dealer if their pricing is stupid when for us, service isn't important. for others, that added cost for the service nearby is important.

and fwiw, the $2500 prep fee is crap. I get a few hundred for batteries but most are not including first service, the lake time should be part of the salesman's cut for selling the boat(don't see car dealers doing this) and installing tower gear? I had to do my last tige since it was shipped to me and took me all of an hour to install boardracks and bimini(if the dealer has to charge to install a mirror, you shouldn't own a towboat). it's become the next auto dealer "doc" fee. a bs charge to reel in the costs of the finance department. a cash grab if you ask me but a lot of dealers are charging it and people are paying it.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

We bought 2 brand new boats this year, our Mondo and F22 from 2 different dealers. Paid $495 for dealer setup (both times)which included 2 batteries. I actually helped remove the original wrap off my F22 and watched 2 guys prep the boat in 1 hour. Another hour getting the boat tested on the water since dealer is on a lake.
    I assume another 15 min would be needed for the inclinometer to be calibrated on a Moomba or Supra.
    Since the boat is new and doesn't require cleanup prep work for the ceramic product, it took me an hour or so to put it on myself.
    In my experience the fees are negotiable.
    If the dealer is nearly sold out, they may not care because the next guy is going to pay. It just depends on how much do you want that particular boat.
    2022 MB F22 Alpha
    2021 Mondo (sold)
    2020 Grand Island Fish
    2017 Sea-Doo Spark

Everything is negotiable with a boat but the problem is in this market if you don't buy it the next guy will, so there's very little incentive to negotiate with you.
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
    Since the boat is new and doesn't require cleanup prep work for the ceramic product, it took me an hour or so to put it on myself.
    I can only speak to SC products, there is a lot of prep,correction and polishing required in my opinion prior to applying ceramic. Not sure what ceramic you applied, but two full coats on the exterior alone was 5-6 hours.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan