Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Curious, do you folks set a budget before buying something? (such as a boat) . Or is it more impulse driven (justified with its only $2 per month more).

If your ok with $15k swing why stop there- Why not swing higher to a Supra?
    2021 Moomba Max

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    Curious, do you folks set a budget before buying something? (such as a boat) . Or is it more impulse driven (justified with its only $2 per month more).

If your ok with $15k swing why stop there- Why not swing higher to a Supra?
    Honestly, I did set a budget and it wasn't until I started looking that I realized my budget wasn't realistic. I used to be the guy that said I wouldn't buy anything new. But a few years ago when I was in the market for a truck (because we were having another kid and the car seats wouldn't fit in my old one), I looked and looked and then realized the price difference between new and used wasn't that far off. Really, knowing I was saving less than 20% to buy a newer used truck and possibly buying someone else's problem just didn't seem worth it to me. I ended up buying new and have not regretted it since. Although I will say, I just bought off the lot and did get a really good deal... which definitely helped.

I suppose this is the reason for looking into a new boat. Again, I've looked at the used market and the savings is about the same... 20%. Plus, used boats right now are often selling for more than they are worth and selling quick. I'm still open to the idea though. I think my wife and I are thinking we'll just save some more money to put down on a new boat and it will balance out. Especially since we know we're not going to be able to get out on the water this year (mainly due to work for me). As for the Supra... at some point the extra couple bucks a month becomes an extra couple hundred bucks and it doesn't balance out. Plus I feel like the resale value on the "budget" boats is better because they are typically within reach for most people who are looking. Hopefully that makes sense.

I set a budget and after a year of not finding a boat i decided f my budget. Im not wasting another year of lost memories i could be making with my family. The mojo i have on order is more then double my original budget looking for a used boat. Was definitely not impulse. My dealer said in 20 years we were the most undecisive back and forth customers here ever had and i consider that a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    You sound like younger, much better version of me! I hear you man. For many, it's about being treated with respect on what is, for most, the second biggest purchase of their life. Of course, a consumer doesn't feel bad about leveraging a down market at the expense of margin, so I'm sure the dealers feel like it's time to have pot me kettle. Here's the thing though. Most dealers don't sell just one boat to a family, even if the family swears it's their "forever boat". I follow a lot of instagram dealer sites and I constantly see "Congrats on (insert brand here) #4 for the Smith family. I think dealers understand this and hopefully realize that walking you over a courtesy discount could cost them downstream when times aren't as good. Let them know that you could see yourself in a Supra someday if they are interested in establishing a relationship.

I'd make an offer and let them say no. I mean, be realistic for the market of course, but there's no reason they shouldn't be willing to work with you a little if you are willing to hand them a five digit profit of your hard earned money.

As far as options....

Get what you want. It's real easy for me to spend your money on my keyboard, but it's an AMAZING boat...so make it as easy and as comfortable as you can to enjoy it by optioning it up with things that make you, your family, and friends go...Wow..this is BAD A!!

I ordered my boat in October and left out little 200- 400 dollar options and things to trick myself into thinking I was "being financially prudent". From then until my spray date, I added about 6k worth of stuff, each time thinking "what the hell am I doing? It's $400 bucks on a boat that cost 104 THOUSAND dollars. If I'm spending that much already, I'm paying the extra $2.00 a month to have a boat that I'm love with. Why? Because there is no such thing as being financially prudent when buying a boat...lol.

Flow 3....Surf Exhaust..Big Screen....all the options that 90% of others boaters get....get them...there is a reason everyone does. The things like upgraded engines, trailer bling, and maybe even racks...those are some expensive items that might not make your experience at all better, so save the money. But if you commit to buying a 2022 brand new six digit surf boat, equip it like a 2022 brand new six digit surf boat!

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision!!!!

Good Luck
    Yeah, I definitely get it with the market right now. Dealers are able to basically say if you don’t want it someone else will. Which is an obvious reason why they are being stingy on price (and like you said, it’s understandable). I do plan on making a realistic offer that I feel comfortable with and isn’t like I’m asking for the moon.

Lol… About spending my money on a keyboard. The options you and some others talked about were things I was really wanting and planned on getting. I don’t plan on upgrading the trailer much other than the things I know I need (spare tire, guide poles, swing-away tongue, transom steps). Dealer did recommend the engine upgrade just due to our altitude and desire to have a larger crew (albeit 9 of the 15 are kids under . My dealer was also telling me he didn’t see much of a difference between the Flow 2 and Flow 3. He was suggesting sticking with the Flow 2 but adding the G6. Anyone have any thoughts on Flow 2 vs. Flow 3?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs28 View Post
    A necessary upgrade to me is surf exhaust. That was mandatory. So was a heater.
    Thanks. Those are two upgraded I also felt were mandatory. Especially the heater, since we boat in Colorado and I'd really like to extend the season a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
    These are strange times. In the past I wouldn't buy a boat if it wasn't 20% off or so.. and those were still bad deals LOL. Now, none of my previous boats were inboard to be fair. The crazy thing is that whatever you pay for your boat today, you're likely to get back if you sell it next year, and the trend looks to continue. I would never in my life thought that I would say that.
    Anyway, work them for a discount and buy the Mojo with flow 3 in my opinion, but if Max make more sense financially, you will be happy too.
    I was leaning toward the Mojo as well but felt the need to get some validation. Lol. What are your thoughts on Flow 2 vs. Flow 3? I know Flow 3 adds the extra tab but what does it do in terms of wave quality?

Personally mine is planned. I set a budget and then look real hard at what I am comfortable with if I excide that figure. I bought used but I was shopping new at first. $90K for the Max seemed ridiculous to me. So I used the website like everyone else and built the Max I wanted, all options. I wasn't at 90K but close, and tax and prep, etc. I was still under but much closer to the dealer's numbers. Having a base of 62K I figured I could get used for that number, and I was very wrong if i wanted a 1yr old boat. But that is how I set my used budget moving forward. I ended up finding a Mojo at that price and before scheduling the in-person meeting came to the reality that I was being scammed. I then found my 2015 for less that my budget and it has allowed me to add extras and clean up things and still keep my accounts tight.

Back to the new purchase, I look at it long term. Am I ever going to pay this thing off and keep it 15+ years or is it basically a long term rental? If it is a rental resale and options are going to win out. The extra 15K is never going to hit your pocket, but the next buyer will want the 15K in options and make it easier to sell. You are going to pay $2 more a month on your "rental" then someone else is going to assume your "rental" and then they will pay the remainder.
    But why not jump to the luxury version? This again comes down to monthly payment. Buying a 90k boat and paying 675 a month or buying a 104K boat and paying 677 a month, no one cares. Jumping to a 160k+ boat is now getting into $1000 month payments and hard to swallow (House vs Car payment ideas). Also, it is harder to find the next buyer knowing you still need a large sum of money to get away from this long term rental. Most luxury vehicles have higher depreciation and the first owner takes to larger bite.

Just my $0.02, but it works in my head. I want the luxury of a top tier boat someday, but the smaller payments are much easier to make when the white stuff is falling. The goal is to break even (or make a buck in this economy), but I shall see in the coming years.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Everyone knows what they can afford in the end.

Would be foolish to buy above your means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Anyone have any thoughts on the planned crew size - 6 adults and 9 kids - 6 boys and 3 girls - Boys ages are 9,9,8,7,6,5 and Girls are 4,3, and 2? This will be their ages next season. My thought was to have the boys up in the bow of either boat. Just wondering if that is realistic when it comes to safety and space? Also, wondering where you all keep your ice chest? With the new Mojo, will it fit in the area in front of the observers seat with that seat cushion removed?
    Last edited by Wren; 04-23-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Default 2022 Moomba Max Vs. Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on the planned crew size - 6 adults and 9 kids - 6 boys and 3 girls - Boys ages are 9,9,8,7,6,5 and Girls are 4,3, and 2? This will be their ages next season. My thought was to have the boys up in the bow of either boat. Just wondering if that is realistic when it comes to safety and space? Also, wondering where you all keep your ice chest? With the new Mojo, will it fit in the area in front of the observers seat with that seat cushion removed?
    I think that crew size will be uncomfortable even on a Makai. Honestly the people ratings on these boats is ridiculous, my opinion is if the boat claims 16, it’s honestly 8.

Two adults in the bow is good, 6 kids.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 04-23-2021 at 10:04 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan