Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Router/modem rec.

For the tech savvy people I have AT&T u-verse and pay for the most expensive fastest internet they offer. But I feel like my internet is that of the old dial up system. Everything I’ve read on line indicates that my router isn’t good enough going on 5 years now with the same one,I want to switch routers what is your recommendation on brand model etc.

Also wanna buy one so I don’t have to pay the att rental fee they hit you with.

Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig

Try connecting your device via ethernet cable then test internet speed. If it's slow that's uverse, if it's fast and slow via wifi it could be interference(try changing wifi channels) or you have devices to far from the wifi access point or something causing it. Any new 2.5 & 5ghz wifi router on amazon with good reviews will do. You want to use 5g which will be faster but has limited distance and bad wall pentratrion.
    Last edited by parrothd; 03-17-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I highly reccomend the Google Wifi router...it uses nodes to create a mesh network so you will have crazy good coverage all over your home and possibly backyard. It comes with 3 nodes good for around 3,500 sq ft but you can add nodes for additional coverage.

With the app, it's super easy to monitor connected devices, test connections, etc. It will guide you into placing the nodes throughout your home to create the best mesh network.

We stream 4K Netflix with it so throughput is no problem.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...BoCnk4QAvD_BwE

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Try connecting your device via ethernet cable then test internet speed. If it's slow that's uverse, if it's fast and slow via wifi it could be interference(try changing wifi channels) or you have devices to far from the wifi access point or something causing it. Any new 2.5 & 5ghz wifi router on amazon with good reviews will do. You want to use 5g which will be faster but has limited distance and bad wall pentratrion.
    All this stemmed from trying to download the update for a Xbox game and it took 3 hours the Xbox is connected with a Ethernet cable. I’ve called att and they “upgraded” my speed and they say there’s nothing wrong on their end. I feel like 2 hours to download a update for a Xbox game is ridiculous.

2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig

Quote Originally Posted by Edo88 View Post
    All this stemmed from trying to download the update for a Xbox game and it took 3 hours the Xbox is connected with a Ethernet cable. I’ve called att and they “upgraded” my speed and they say there’s nothing wrong on their end. I feel like 2 hours to download a update for a Xbox game is ridiculous.

Uverse isn't that fast, try https://www.speedtest.net/ and test the speed via a Ethernet connection. If you have att&t they may have gig fiber in your area for the same price. I have the 1G fiber connection for $79.. I'd stay away from anything google if you can, support both for technical and long term are very very poor. Google tends to pick things up and then ruin them. My whole home is google home automated but I'm total prepared for them to drop support anytime now.. lol..
    Last edited by parrothd; 03-18-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    I highly reccomend the Google Wifi router...it uses nodes to create a mesh network so you will have crazy good coverage all over your home and possibly backyard. It comes with 3 nodes good for around 3,500 sq ft but you can add nodes for additional coverage.

With the app, it's super easy to monitor connected devices, test connections, etc. It will guide you into placing the nodes throughout your home to create the best mesh network.

We stream 4K Netflix with it so throughput is no problem.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...BoCnk4QAvD_BwE

That’s wild that might be overkill for me lol still would need a modem with that set up though

2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig

Uverse isn't that fast, try https://www.speedtest.net/ and test the speed via a Ethernet connection. If you have att&t they may have gig fiber in your area for the same price. I have the 1G fiber connection for $79.. I'd stay away from anything google if you can, support both for technical and long term are very very poor. Google tends to pick things up and then ruin them. My whole home is google home automated but I'm total prepared for them to drop support anytime now.. lol..
    80 is what we pay for u-verse Internet now

2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig

Quote Originally Posted by Edo88 View Post
    80 is what we pay for u-verse Internet now

You said you wanted faster Internet, 1 gig (1000 Mbs) fiber is probably 100 times faster than your uverse (10-20Mbs)...

You said you wanted faster Internet, 1 gig (1000 Mbs) fiber is probably 100 times faster than your uverse (10-20Mbs)...
    Even if he gets 1gig fiber....a 5 year old garden hose isn't gonna flow faster than a fire hose so it's kinda moot without a better router.

2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I was going to get a mesh network but got lucky with a single router and relocated to the center of the house (one story). It could be a combination of modem and service which was my case. I now rely on the wireless for so much that I upgraded the modem and went from DSL to cable. When they installed cable, they put in a new dedicated run to their box and I had them install the modem in the center of the house at the TV. I then installed cameras and they all work well. No ADT for me.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD