Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    I went on a demo of a 2018 Axis A22. It's cool to see the new boats, different newer tech, etc. But it also made me realize that a $95k boat doesn't throw a significantly better wave than my Mondo.

I got the second set of tabs completely installed today, and took it out for a test surf. These smaller tabs worked better than the GSA-style tabs I made first.

I had them set to 23° max deploy angle. On both the regular and goofy sides I had to bump them up from max. I'm going to try the 18° lower mount position to see if the wave is good at max deploy of 18°.
    With enough displacement and a decent device such as the tabs you just fabbed, a wave is a wave. People don’t always cite “a better wave” as the reason they would buy a newer, more expensive boat. You could put tabs on a 1975 Century Arabian and sack it out and get the same result.

There is often an ongoing assault on newer boats (usually with a mention of their price) from people with older boats. The fact is, with enough ingenuity, dedication, weight you can make a nice wave on most any boat. It’s not magic.

New boats offer a ton of things that people want that aren’t wave related. And they often need dialing of their own to work well as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    With enough displacement and a decent device such as the tabs you just fabbed, a wave is a wave. People don’t always cite “a better wave” as the reason they would buy a newer, more expensive boat. You could put tabs on a 1975 Century Arabian and sack it out and get the same result.

There is often an ongoing assault on newer boats (usually with a mention of their price) from people with older boats. The fact is, with enough ingenuity, dedication, weight you can make a nice wave on most any boat. It’s not magic.

New boats offer a ton of things that people want that aren’t wave related. And they often need dialing of their own to work well as well.
    I don't think you riden the new surf boats...lol..

No amount of tinkering is going to match something that's been engineered to do it. I upgraded specifically to get a newer hull for the best wave I could afford.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default Homemade surf tabs

Bruh.....Me? Or the OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Axis A22 is 95k?

Do you you get a free T23 with that?

That was the price on it, had every option available. Definitely wouldn't spend 95k on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

An Axis A22 is 95k?

Do you you get a free T23 with that?

The salesman told us he just sold an identical boat for $86k. The sticker on the one they had with almost no options was $75k. I sure as hell wouldn't pay that for that boat.
    2019 Supra SL450

That boat had nothing on it better than my 2014 Mondo, except the Power Wedge and the surfer remote that can control switching sides, speed, and music volume (that thing was cool as hell). Neither of those things make it worth double what I have in my boat.

The power wedge gave him superior control of wave height and length over anything Moomba or Supra have. However, it's not worth a 10k premium on a loaded Craz, or a 20k premium on a loaded Max. The best thing about that boat was its ability to make a great wave right off the showroom floor. It didn't need any extra tinkering or ballast added.
    2019 Supra SL450

I went to the dealer and measured the Autoflow tab angle....The tabs are at 30° at 100% deployment. Seems many run them around 60%, which was 20°....At any rate, it gave me something to work with for setting my tab angles.... They have 4 actuator holes (of which only 3 are really usable) which will provide 18, 24, and 30 degrees of deployment.... I also made diversion fins for the bottom of the tabs, 2 on each.
    Seriously awesome work here!!!

Thx for digging into this. I’ve been thinking goose slappers but my hull shape has a lot of curves but is flat at the bottom of the transom where you mounted the tabs.
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    1100s in the rear, IBS upfront
    Stock bags under the seats
    HDPE Surf Platform

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    Seriously awesome work here!!!

Thx for digging into this. I’ve been thinking goose slappers but my hull shape has a lot of curves but is flat at the bottom of the transom where you mounted the tabs.
    I think the LSV has more curvature than the Mondo, but not sure. The piano hinges can take a small amount of curve without any binding. Even if so, you could make an adapter to account for it. Or you could call Wakeland and see if they will sell you their hinge adapter.

As far as surf gates, I wouldn't do it. There is a LOT of pressure from the water, and where you'd have to mount the hinges would allow a lot of twisting force on them.

This is the total curve where my hinge is mounted.

These are on Great Lakes Skipper, but you can see the adapter piece that Wakeland makes.
    Last edited by Shoebox; 09-16-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    2019 Supra SL450

... Or you could call Wakeland and see if they will sell you their hinge adapter.
    Thx for that. I can’t figure out why they include a shim for the LSV. Where the transom meets the bottom there’s a long flat section that would be perfect for the hinges. Not sure why I couldn’t use the same piano hinges you used.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    1100s in the rear, IBS upfront
    Stock bags under the seats
    HDPE Surf Platform

I guess the newer LSV transom is different.
    2019 Supra SL450