Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer brake lights and how to replace them.

Anyone had to replace the LED brake lights that come on the newer boat mate trailers? It looks like the thing is riveted on. But that doesn't sound logical at all.

I put a call into my dealer's shop but they haven't called me back.

RS
    2016 Craz

I believe they are rivets, easy to remove just drill them out, probably something to do with screws shearing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz

Thank for the confirmation.
    2016 Craz

Rivets are easy to drill out. A good choice to replace would be a small stainless bolt with washers and stainless nylock nut. Much easier to remove next time.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I believe the frame is boxed. How would i put a nyloc nut on it? I might have to either re-rivet it, or use a self tapping screw (probably not best idea).
    2016 Craz

Ours was a 2014 Mondo with dual axle trailer, the first time we used it the brake leds filled up with water...so much for being sealed.
    I replaced them with Peterson lights, but essentially I drilled the heads off the originals, fitted the new ones and secured using rivets again. I used a punch to pop the remaining rivet body of the originals back into the box section. Seemed easy enough.
    Since, the new ones have been on for 3+ years and never leaked, the originals had cracks in the back plastic for some reason. We swapped the indicator ones over as well, although not filled with water the newer ones looked better in my opinion.
    Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    I believe the frame is boxed. How would i put a nyloc nut on it? I might have to either re-rivet it, or use a self tapping screw (probably not best idea).
    I get you. Nothing wrong with using rivets again-- I just hate them. Problem with a self-tapper is it will have to be hard enough to tap and thus it's probably not going to be stainless.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'm fairly certain Boatmate has a lifetime warranty on their LEDs. Just send them a pic of your faulty light and they will send you a new one free of charge.

-Tyler

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

Thanks for the tip Tyler.
    However, I bought one at Northern Tool that looks like a direct replacement. I gave it a little waterproofing but not sure if it'll hold up (although it's not like the OEM one lasted too long... it actually started dropping LED's last year and they finally all burned out). If this one doesn't last I'll contact boat mate. This time, I didn't really have time for them to send me one bc I needed to get the boat back to storage and don't want a tkt.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Anyone had to replace the LED brake lights that come on the newer boat mate trailers? It looks like the thing is riveted on. But that doesn't sound logical at all.

I put a call into my dealer's shop but they haven't called me back.

RS
    What year is your trailer? I thought my left brake light was out on my 2017. Called the dealer with your same question and was told there's no way the LED's were out that soon. They suggested a connection issue and to jam trailer light plug into the connector. Sure enough, that worked....