Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Craz Subwoofer Pics

How do you know what hz to build a ported box at for a specific sub?

Quote Originally Posted by 98outback View Post
    How do you know what hz to build a ported box at for a specific sub?
    Most speaker manufacturers include that information along with air space cubic ft requirements on their website or owners manual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I know it's bushleague when it comes to sound equipment, but I still have the stock sub. Has anyone tried modding the housing for it, or creating a closure to achieve better bass with the factory settings? Or is it just a lost cause out of the box?
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

Quote Originally Posted by MMPRES View Post
    I know it's bushleague when it comes to sound equipment, but I still have the stock sub. Has anyone tried modding the housing for it, or creating a closure to achieve better bass with the factory settings? Or is it just a lost cause out of the box?
    IIRC, the 2016 would have been the Kicker KM10 woofer with no enclosure, mounted to a 3/4 facade wall under the helm?

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    IIRC, the 2016 would have been the Kicker KM10 woofer with no enclosure, mounted to a 3/4 facade wall under the helm?
    Mla I sent you a pm

You are correct sir.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

You are correct sir.
    Build a sealed enclosure between .8ft3 and 1.0ft3 for it, retune the amp and it will be a different animal! That woofer is not the most ideal for infinite-baffle, but actually works ok. The biggest issue with most of these boats, is that the helm wall is not closed off at the top, but about 3/4 of a wall. This just ruins any attempt at a quality IB alignment.

or go ported with about 1.5Ft3 @ 38Hz.

Build a sealed enclosure between .8ft3 and 1.0ft3 for it, retune the amp and it will be a different animal! That woofer is not the most ideal for infinite-baffle, but actually works ok. The biggest issue with most of these boats, is that the helm wall is not closed off at the top, but about 3/4 of a wall. This just ruins any attempt at a quality IB alignment.

or go ported with about 1.5Ft3 @ 38Hz.
    The majority of your statement is in another language that evidently I'm not even kindergarten equivalent. But I'll try and decipher it with my neophyte vocabulary. I'm typically better in practice than concepts when it comes to stereos.

So If I were to build an enclosure with those measurements, what material is best? (wood, composite, etc?) Would I be able to piggyback off the existing wall where the sub is mounted (i.e., build a box around it still mounted to the panel)?
    Not exactly familiar with the term infinite-baffle, but I'm guessing it deals with the reverberation of the sound, or how the sound it makes is distributed/projected.

And I have no clue what you mean with ported 1.5 ft.cu. @ 38 Hz. ---Is 38 Hz the power coming from the amp? Is that measured on the amp?
    If I remember correctly, a ported box is one with a "breather" hole for the sub. Would the port be best directed into the cockpit?
    Which is better for optimal sound production (ported, enclosed)? Will either put more wear on the product?

Again, I apologize as I know very little about stereo. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

The majority of your statement is in another language that evidently I'm not even kindergarten equivalent. But I'll try and decipher it with my neophyte vocabulary. I'm typically better in practice than concepts when it comes to stereos.

So If I were to build an enclosure with those measurements, what material is best? (wood, composite, etc?) Would I be able to piggyback off the existing wall where the sub is mounted (i.e., build a box around it still mounted to the panel)?
    Not exactly familiar with the term infinite-baffle, but I'm guessing it deals with the reverberation of the sound, or how the sound it makes is distributed/projected.

And I have no clue what you mean with ported 1.5 ft.cu. @ 38 Hz. ---Is 38 Hz the power coming from the amp? Is that measured on the amp?
    If I remember correctly, a ported box is one with a "breather" hole for the sub. Would the port be best directed into the cockpit?
    Which is better for optimal sound production (ported, enclosed)? Will either put more wear on the product?

Again, I apologize as I know very little about stereo. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    No need to apologize.

Yes, you can build a simple square/rectangle enclosure to go behind the woofer/wall with the wall being back in about its original location.

Quality .75" ply of MDF. The trick is in the construction and sealing. Devil's in the details.

infinite baffle means BIG box behind the woofer, rather then a small box. These boats cannot support the IB using the helm cavity as the box because the wall the woofer is mounted to, is open at the top. Think of a window AC unit set on the kitchen table expecting it to produce cold AC and cool the room. Cold air is supposed to come out the front but we have hot air as a byproduct coming of the back of the window AC unit. The hot and cold air mix, making it not effective.

Putting the woofer an actual box is like putting the window unit in the window as is needs to be. No we get the proper cold air, or bass if you will.

Yep, ported box does breath. It has a tuned opening. Not just an opening, but its tuned like any other musical instrument. the 1.5 ft3 refers to the internal air volume and 38Hz is the tuned frequency, in hertz, that the port is tuned to. Yes, port is best firing into the cabin along side the woofer. We get more output from a ported, but the trade off is a larger pox, more complicated to build and harder to fit in the boat.

IMG_20170418_163231619.jpg

IMG_20170418_163453482.jpg

Ok, so let's say I would go the route of building my own enclosed box. What sort of sealing is necessary? Is there anything needed on the interior of the box?
    For the wiring harness in the back, I assume that insert you added yourself. Or is that the back of the sub? If not, where did you find that part? Do you have to branch the wires to the port from the sub and then out to the amp (as in two separate sets of wires)?
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique