Hi All,

I've had this 2011 outback v for 2 summers now and noticed it was leaking this year (probaly last year as well since the bilge was going off and killing my battery). I just assumed it was stuffing box issue and figured i would take care of it once out of the water since i had done that job before on my 06 outback DD.

Low and behold it is a dripless shaft seal but it looks like the previous owner had leaking and tried to seal it with some sort of gunk (see pics). It also has what looks to be shredded up old sealing rope that came out of it??? Not sure i understand this since i thought this system had no rope...

Unfortunately, i didn't examine things closely when it was in the water so i don't know exactly where it is leaking, but given the state its, i'm assuming i need to change it.

I've been searching the forums but can't quite find my exact setup. Does anyone know what i need to do and what exatly i could try replacing? A whole new dripless setup is $600?? Is there a seal i can change? Does anyone know of a good instructional post or video on changing this (it is so tight in there under motor that i am assuming its a frustrating job...

Thanks for any advice or links!

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg