I want to learn to wakesurf. I have a 2001 OB LS. I have one 400 pound ski locker bag, and two 400 pound v drive bags I can put on the floor. My son (9) can wakesurf my old O'Brien Shredder "wakeboard" that is a lot like a surfboard. First time he tried, he did it and threw in the rope after about 5 minutes of playing around and went another 15 minutes. I tried, and the board just sank on me. I could not even ride the board with the rope as it was a constant struggle to keep afloat at that low of a speed (around 10).

I weighed approximately 205 then and now weigh 185. Any hope for me? If so, should I buy a new board? I have found a really good deal on an O'Brien Alias 5.0 new and a Liquid Force Venture 5'6". These both seem to be big boards and I assume I want the thing that will make it easiest for me to possibly surf. Does it make sense to buy one of these boards and if so, which one. I'm leaning towards the Alias but if you think the Venture would have a markedly better chance of allowing me to surf, I would buy that instead.

Also, I am a total beginner and so will be everyone else on the boat. I plan to keep my LS for another two years or so and then upgrade to a new or lightly used LSV, XLV (or less likely but possibly a similar model from another manufacturer if price is competitive) - but I'm constantly looking. I'm not advese to buying a new board to go with the new boat.