Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Its a sorry day in Bama when you have to spend 4-5 hundred because the so called marine mechanic cant fix it. I once had one tell my neighbor he needed a new engine. I looked at it it was loaded with gas, flooded and the cylinders were washed down . They also burned the starter up . New starter,oil change and spark plugs later. He is still running the BAD engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Suprahunter View Post
    Its a sorry day in Bama when you have to spend 4-5 hundred because the so called marine mechanic cant fix it. I once had one tell my neighbor he needed a new engine. I looked at it it was loaded with gas, flooded and the cylinders were washed down . They also burned the starter up . New starter,oil change and spark plugs later. He is still running the BAD engine?
    Ya and the mechanic keeps the "bad engine" and uses it as a "rebuild" to put in someone elses car. I try to do as much work as possible on my own vehicles and boat but I have a honest mechanic when needed. It took years to find a good, honest mechanic. Most of them are scumballs. Best thing is to do your own research and learn the basics of fixing your boat or car. You would be surprised at what you can do yourself. Working on cars and boats is not rocket science, anybody can do it. The GM350 is a straight forward, reliable engine that has been around forever. Any car mechanic can work on this engine as long as they use the right marine parts. I have a car mechanic that has no problem working on my XLV but I have never had a reason to use him yet. Screw brining your boat into the stealership, they will rip a hole in the back of your pants and rape you right there. I have done all of the maintainence on my boat and it runs like a top. I was doing almost 50mph on the water yesterday with 6 people in my oversized XLV. That puts a big smile on your face on the way back from a nice day of boating. I replaced a head on my old boat and it wasn't as hard as it sounds. Of course I had some help from a friend who knows more than I did but everything turned out fine.
    Last edited by ToddXLV; 06-28-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Points taken. I've got to do some homework and legwork. I just wish I had done it earlier in the season. I hate waiting. However, I do have some friends who know the GM 350 and can probably help. I was just a little hesitant to have them do it. I bought the Clymer service manual which is quite helpful. Maybe I'll be a pro at this soon and can charge someone else!

Thanks again.

Gray
    Tell your friend you will take him out in the boat once you get it running correctly. Boats of your vintage are very simple to repair you may not be able to do everything but with a little help from your friend and this forum you will be surprised how much you can do.

Note not all mechanics and dealers are bad if you are lucky you will find a good one.

Thanks again everyone. I called Summit and had them deliver a new Holley 4150 marine carb to my "mechanic" which he promptly installed. (boat was in the shop for 3!!! weeks)

But NOW it starts on the first try, no black smoke, no stalling, smooth sailing. I'm going to educate myself so I don't have to rely on mechanics. Okay, I spent a little more than I should have but I can take my boat out again! Lesson learned.

See you on the lake.
    Brian

Hey, sometimes when it's "in season" you do what you have to do. You're running now and that's what really matters. The rest just gets filed away for next time.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!