Hi everyone,

I was wondering: Has anyone experimented with quieting down the motor box and or inspection floorboard plate above the mufflers/tranny/driveline? I just re-packed my stuffing box and decided to leave off the inpsection floor board while doing a quick inspection of my work. When I cranked the boat over (in water at the dock), it sounded like my mufflers were shot! It wasn't until my son reminded me the aluminum floorboard was not in place that I realized what was wrong. The floor does an admirable job of sound deadening (while everything's buttoned up), but is there room for simple improvement?

I was thinking that this boat could be made considerably quieter with a simple treatment of some Dynamat? They make everything from door skin stuff to under-hood accoustical deadening (with lead no less). Based on the product they would recommend, I could do the underside of the motorbox (assuming clearance isn't an issue) and do the underside of the floor inspection plate. In addition, why not wrap the stuff around the top half of the mufflers! Based on what I heard with the inspection plate off, there's got to be room for sound/vibe dampening.

Only downside? The stuff aint cheap.

Your thoughts???

Chris G.