Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I remember the day I got the balls to ask my dad this exact question.

I had been trailering since 14yr old, operated heavy machinery since 12 and grew up with quads and dirt bikes. My dad wasn't scared of my judgement but the judgement of others. My first trip wasn't a long weekend either. It was a day trip but I was 18 not 23.

If your kids have the same respect I had (sounds like maybe more) they will do great and keep their friends in line also. Mechanical problems happen. Are they trained enough to wrench on some things with dad on the phone (video calls did not exist in my day)? Could they change a prop if needed and do you have a spare? Could they change a trailer tire? Basic mechanic skills and a socket set goes a long way.

These are things they will remember forever. I know I still do. And 18 with a truck and boat, was a great summer when dad always said yes after I proved myself.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Seems like a big leap for their first silo trip but sounds like the could handle it. I'd suggest some smaller local trips first. Even if it's a day you plan to be out with them, show up a hour late and leave an hour early where they do all the trailering and launching without you.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    for me and my sis it's more like "remember that time that we took "x" and did "y" and mom/dad didn't even notice"
    as I have aged over the years telling stories about my youth to my mom especially she keeps saying "I never knew that"....
    Sounds familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what happened? I didn't hear anything on the local news

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Haha, the fact that nothing came across the news is probably a good thing!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Given the boat needed a new alternator and new starter is was over before it even started. Then after our 4th of July trip where my buddy's Malibu was broken down on the water, like opened the engine compartment and thought it was on fire, but was actually just steam. And we had to taxi him 5 miles back and forth to the launch for parts and tow him in. I think that put a damper on their "we could do this" enthusiasm just a bit...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Given the boat needed a new alternator and new starter is was over before it even started. Then after our 4th of July trip where my buddy's Malibu was broken down on the water, like opened the engine compartment and thought it was on fire, but was actually just steam. And we had to taxi him 5 miles back and forth to the launch for parts and tow him in. I think that put a damper on their "we could do this" enthusiasm just a bit...
    I hate to hear this. As a father I completely understand, and it helped make your decision easier. However, I was hoping to hear of the adventures and how it went. Having to figure things out is part of growing up.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I've been there on the steam... Mine was the fittings on the top of the manifold melting (because of a different underlying cooling problem or two)

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My son has had some other adventures this summer - being up on one of the mountain lakes with his fishing boat a little too long and getting the gate locked on them so they're stuck in the parking lot. Walking up the hill in the pitch black to get cell service. Get ahold of the tow company in charge of it an hour away who says they have to pay $175 and he'll come out and open it. Then the sheriff rolls by and notices them, figures they're up to no good. Hears whats going on, these college kids stuck with no money and pressures the tow company to just give them the gate code. "Ok fine, 1-2-3-4". My son says he and the deputy are looking at each other like seriously WTF. Opens the gate and and they get the hell out of there. Meanwhile I'm at home sipping a nightcap contemplating putting together a search party after having expected him to be home at least 3 hours earlier. Can't reach him or see his location because he had zero service most of the night. Fun stuff.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

When you said "tow company" was in charge of the parking lot, that sums it up. Those SOB's I am sure locked them in on purpose just so they could try to hijack them for some money. Ridiculous, especially since they could give them the code to get out. Good for that deputy for helping them out!!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub