Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62
  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,714

    Default The 2020 Supra SE550 is a heavy girl!

    [QUOTE=Shoebox;353624]If I could find an Ecoboost setup


    Found this..... https://www.ebay.com/i/383523353963?...EaAg7kEALw_wcB
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-18-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    2018 Supra SA 400
    Michigan

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    856

    Default

    [QUOTE=larry_arizona;353627]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    If I could find an Ecoboost setup


    Found this..... https://www.ebay.com/i/383523353963?...EaAg7kEALw_wcB
    Thanks. It would need to be complete, with trans and ecu. And preferably out of a car, not sure but I'd think the trans would be smaller.
    2019 Supra SL450

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    Not sure why you think an F250 sucks as a daily? I have had 5 F150s from the 4.6L, 5.0L and the Eco-boost variety and I have had 3 F250s...I'll take the F250s over the F150s all day from a towing standpoint and a daily driver standpoint. I get better mpg from my diesel than I ever did from my F150s both towing and commuting in DFW traffic.
    I second this. Granted I've never been a car driver and have driven trucks my entire life, pre-COVID I would daily my '17 F250. No stink and no clatter....I took my mom for a drive once (remote started while we were in house) and she didn't even know it was running it was so quiet once we got in. Adding DEF happens so infrequently it's not that big of a deal.

    The older leaf-sprung SuperDuty's did ride a little rougher but I think in 2012 or 2013 they started putting coil springs up front and the handling became much better.

    I have broken IFS half shafts in 1/2 ton trucks before, made the switch to 3/4 ton with solid front axle and haven't looked back.

    If my wife wasn't up for a new ride this year I'd trade in my '17 for a '20 with the Tremor package...serious beast.

    All the hand wringing about the OEM F-150 hitches not matching truck capacity is a bummer but I hardly ever see F-150s towing large loads...kinda like how I rarely see dirty Raptors.

    I'm not giving Ford a pass because the hitch rating should match the truck. I'm guessing the beancounters decided the heavy 1/2 ton drivers were in the small minority and would be versed enough to read labels.

    I don't think you have the best selling truck line for 32 years without knowing your customers and how the vast majority will use the vehicles.

    I've heard nothing but good things about the 7.3L Godzilla gasser so you could easily build a stout 3/4 ton DD without swallowing the $10K upcharge for the PSD.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf MAX Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    Towing the heavier wake boats (Supras, bu’s,Centurion,Nautique, MC)with a 1/2ton is truly a unique territory.

    Doable, but check your gear is all.

    I am due for a new truck next spring, I will take a look at the F250, maybe I am being unfair in my 3/4 ton critique. I have owned 2 3/4 tons before and maybe left a bad taste.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SA 400
    Michigan

  5. #45

    Default

    My daily is a lifted F250 diesel. Bought it new in ‘15 just the way I wanted it and just rolled 100k on the clock. When it was time for tires at 65k I considered trading for a new one but MAN these things are expensive! I decided to keep it and have not regretted it.

    2 years ago to get a new lariat like I have now was just a tick over $70k. Today they’re a tick over $75k. I remember buying my first new diesel in 2004 was around $40k....hate to think of what it’s going to cost in 5 more years

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,714

    Default The 2020 Supra SE550 is a heavy girl!

    Quote Originally Posted by Max20 View Post
    My daily is a lifted F250 diesel. Bought it new in ‘15 just the way I wanted it and just rolled 100k on the clock. When it was time for tires at 65k I considered trading for a new one but MAN these things are expensive! I decided to keep it and have not regretted it.

    2 years ago to get a new lariat like I have now was just a tick over $70k. Today they’re a tick over $75k. I remember buying my first new diesel in 2004 was around $40k....hate to think of what it’s going to cost in 5 more years
    A large portion of that cost increase is rate of inflation, $40k in 2004 is the same as $55k in 2020, the additional $20k is increased content, how much HP and torque increase from 2004 to 2020? Not to mention overall increase in comfort, luxury, performance and the often forgotten safety.

    1/2 tons from 2004 to 2020 are really about the same price when adjusted for inflation and a 2020 come with far more content and performance for the $$$.

    If your rate of income does not outpace rate of inflation, then yes trucks are more expensive as your buying power is losing to inflation.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-19-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    2018 Supra SA 400
    Michigan

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Mn
    Posts
    334

    Default

    OK, so I've been doing some research on the meaning of the weight limits In our trucks and trailer hitches. How they achieve the weight capacities they do. I looked at my hitch again and it states 6k# trailer weight and 600 # tongue weight. Which increases to 13200# trailer and ~ 1200# tougue with the use of a weight distribution hitch. And its all a story about leverage and torque.
    I looked at several videos and articles and this video provided the best explanation:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgRiVNaXFc

    The important take away after all my research is that the WDH DOES NOT reduce the trailer toungue weight. What it does is apply torque to distribute downward force onto the front axles. But the tongue weight remains THE SAME!
    The concern is not about hitch failure, its about lifting the front of the truck and loosing traction at the front wheels which becomes a safety issue with higher speed sharper turns such as an evasive maneuver. There is also uneven wear of the brakes and other axle components due to the uneven distribution of weight.

    This makes sense since the WDH is not attached at any point of the vehicles frame. So it cannot possibly take weight off the hitch. Physically not possible, unless you suspend the laws of physics on your truck.

    So there, I am not worried about my hitch failing, but I am worried about other component wear and failure and loss of control of the truck.
    Not sure that makes it any better.
    The other problem is, as I see it, the WDH is designed to fit the triangular front of the camper trailer whereas our trailers have a long tongue. So, unless there is one designed for our trailers that I could not find, we do not have the option of a WDH.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    Most WDH don’t allow for backing up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SA 400
    Michigan

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Boating on Lake Martin, AL
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    OK, so I've been doing some research on the meaning of the weight limits In our trucks and trailer hitches. How they achieve the weight capacities they do. I looked at my hitch again and it states 6k# trailer weight and 600 # tongue weight. Which increases to 13200# trailer and ~ 1200# tougue with the use of a weight distribution hitch. And its all a story about leverage and torque.
    I looked at several videos and articles and this video provided the best explanation:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgRiVNaXFc

    The important take away after all my research is that the WDH DOES NOT reduce the trailer toungue weight. What it does is apply torque to distribute downward force onto the front axles. But the tongue weight remains THE SAME!
    The concern is not about hitch failure, its about lifting the front of the truck and loosing traction at the front wheels which becomes a safety issue with higher speed sharper turns such as an evasive maneuver. There is also uneven wear of the brakes and other axle components due to the uneven distribution of weight.

    This makes sense since the WDH is not attached at any point of the vehicles frame. So it cannot possibly take weight off the hitch. Physically not possible, unless you suspend the laws of physics on your truck.

    So there, I am not worried about my hitch failing, but I am worried about other component wear and failure and loss of control of the truck.
    Not sure that makes it any better.
    The other problem is, as I see it, the WDH is designed to fit the triangular front of the camper trailer whereas our trailers have a long tongue. So, unless there is one designed for our trailers that I could not find, we do not have the option of a WDH.
    I would cut away the factory Class III tow package and install all class IV hitch, draw bar and ball. That is what I did to my F150. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....Vehicle/page30
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers Bag Buster upgrade
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    Will the factory hitch work, yes.

    WDH is not a boat trailer option.

    Is $200 and 30-45 min worth peace of mind towing a $150k boat? yes

    Will insurance cover a failed factory hitch knowingly over the hitch tag limit? UNKNOWN


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SA 400
    Michigan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •