Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Starter Warranty Denied

So while on vacation I experienced a starter failure. The local dealer replaced it but Indmar denied the warranty because apparently there is never supposed to be water in the bilge of the boat. We have never launch the boat without the plug or swamped the boat. All water in the bilge has been from normal operation such as people climbing in and out of the boat wet, manual filling of ballast bags, and being caught in a rain storm. The bilge pump has always turned on as needed to empty itself. If the bilge pump is working properly then IMO the starter should not be getting wet enough to completely rust from the inside out. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Engine nut larry at indmar will be able to shed some light on the issue for you

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    So while on vacation I experienced a starter failure. The local dealer replaced it but Indmar denied the warranty because apparently there is never supposed to be water in the bilge of the boat. We have never launch the boat without the plug or swamped the boat. All water in the bilge has been from normal operation such as people climbing in and out of the boat wet, manual filling of ballast bags, and being caught in a rain storm. The bilge pump has always turned on as needed to empty itself. If the bilge pump is working properly then IMO the starter should not be getting wet enough to completely rust from the inside out. Thoughts?

This doesn’t make me feel good in the event I have a similar issue down the road. It’s a boat soooo it is going to get water in the engine compartment at some point, albeit limited with normal use, but water nonetheless.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Fat Sac 400s (Midship compartments)
    LeadWake bags

That seems like an odd thing to deny on a practically new boat...? Did they say the starter was rusted out? You get a look at it? I’d be raising a pretty good amount of hell.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Didn't this happen to Brett on his Mondo too? The bilge failed, so the starter rusted out and they denied the claim. Maybe talk to Rinker's and see if they can do anything about it??
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Barring any leaking lines, the bilge pump should be in a position to prevent water intrusion into the engine.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

So this happened out of town so I did not deal with my normal dealer on this. I did however immediately call Jim at Rinkers and tell him what happened. As far as the starter, I took the original with me. If it’s not warrantied then it’s still mine, I also took a bunch of pictures that I also sent to Jim.

My bilge pump, to my knowledge has never not worked, on long days where we are doing a lot of swimming I have seen it come on occasionally for 5-10 second at a time, nothing that I would view as out of the ordinary.

The boat is stored in dry storage with the center plug out so there is never standing water left in the bilge either.

Jim at Rinkers said he is going to see what he can do about getting me reimbursed for a repair that I should not have had to pay for. On top of all that once I got my boat back it appears the water impeller housing is now also failing. Completely wasted vacation.

Not blaming SC, I am pretty ticked at indmar right now though.

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Hmmm. Tell them you want the warranty work done on the bilge pump.
    What? Your bilge pump is working perfectly.
    Yes, exactly.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

By the looks of your boat, you would not store it with water in the bilge.

I'm betting your local dealer will help you with Indmar.

Just curious, what was the replacement cost? Part vs Labor?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

$241.53 for the part
    $375 for the labor
    $46.88 shop supplies
    $63.02. Tax

David