Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast, PA
    Posts
    236

    Default Machine washing canvas boat cover

    Has anyone washed your boat cover in a washing machine, if so how did it work? I tried washing by hand last year, did not work to well. I am thinking about trying a laundry mat washing machine but want to see if anyone did this already and if it worked. I know I will have to use mild soap or buy fabric cleaner. I already more waterproofing one it washed and dry. I just need to get year or 2 out of this cover.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2007 Moomba Outback V

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbyg88 View Post
    Has anyone washed your boat cover in a washing machine, if so how did it work? I tried washing by hand last year, did not work to well. I am thinking about trying a laundry mat washing machine but want to see if anyone did this already and if it worked. I know I will have to use mild soap or buy fabric cleaner. I already more waterproofing one it washed and dry. I just need to get year or 2 out of this cover.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    You need one of the really big rolling machines on delicate. Let it air dry.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Which cover do you have for your 2007? Is it grey and kinda thin or is it black with the buckled strap and a sunbrella like material?

    If you have the grey one do not put it in a washing machine. They are pretty flimsy.
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

    2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    UT 6000'
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    I've done it at the local laundry mat and didn't have a problem. I did let air dry after.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    if you do wash it I think you would want to spray some protectant on it after for weatherproofing.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    442

    Default

    I have washed mine a few times now. I have the older grey one, original to my 2003. I wash mine about once every 2 years, depending on the amount of dust that settles on it during winter storage. Not used in the summer. Boat is garage kept, and trailered to landing. I use regular detergent, and the biggest machine at the laundry mat. Its the only item I put in. I do partially dry in a dryer on MED. It get tangled up on itself pretty bad in the dryer, have to pause and pull open. Then lay out on clean floor to finish dry. No waterproofing left in it after all the years, but that is not a concern for me.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast, PA
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Geary View Post
    Which cover do you have for your 2007? Is it grey and kinda thin or is it black with the buckled strap and a sunbrella like material?

    If you have the grey one do not put it in a washing machine. They are pretty flimsy.
    The cover is from Ski Boat Covers, WeatherMAX material with the black buckled straps. The WeatherMAX material is actually pretty heavy material.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2007 Moomba Outback V

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbyg88 View Post
    The cover is from Ski Boat Covers, WeatherMAX material with the black buckled straps. The WeatherMAX material is actually pretty heavy material.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The covers can be washed, but once they start to weather it'll fall apart pretty easily. Just depends the condition of the cover before washing it.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast, PA
    Posts
    236

    Default

    It is washed! I was a little nervous, when I pulled the cover from the boat in the garage the stitches that hold the pad that holds the snap button for the support pole just broke off 3/4 the way around. I even called called Evaution to see cost and lead time for new cover, not surprised he said September. Cover is in good shape just have to find someone stitch the support pole pad back on. Cover is hanging in the basement with a fan on it for the last 1-1/2 hrs. and is almost dry. Next step waterproofing.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2007 Moomba Outback V

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    14,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbyg88 View Post
    just have to find someone stitch the support pole pad back on.
    Screw that. Just put an iron on patch over the whole thing.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •