Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballast Bags

I don't know of any reason you can't store things on top of the empty bag. It doesn't take up any room when flat and will catch any water that seeps thru the lines.
    07 Mobius LSV

That's what I do with my starboard rear locker. I almost never fill the bag.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    That's the problem if nothing is connected to the center ones they will leak water as there below the water line. You will have to plug it or just be ok with the bilge running a lot
    Mike, his boat has the new ballast system with the Jabsco pumps. I don't think they allow water to leak thru?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Gottop69 View Post
    Ok guys as all of you know I am new to boating.. I am getting better though... Well I think

Here is my new question of the week... I don't use my ballast set up yet and could use the storage in the front.. Should I remove the bags and box them up for a while.. My daughter is wanting to surf But I have read that some people do that with no bags to learn.. Also learning to Wake board.. this way I can get them off the tube more and on to what we bought the boat for..

Help a Brotha out..
    You'll want to fill your center bag and your surf side rear locker bag if you want your daughter to learn to surf. How old is she/how much does she weigh? If under 100 lbs and you have a couple people on the boat, running just your stock surf side rear and front ballast full will create plenty of wave to learn on and in fact, will be easier for her than running 750's or 1100's in the rear. For kids, the large wave put out by the 750+ bags can be intimidating.

As far as storing stuff in the ski locker, like someone else said, there's nothing wrong with putting stuff on top of the empty bag but there's nothing wrong with removing it either. There should be a rubberized matt under the ballast bags to protect your skis, etc. that you put in there.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Cool... This is what I will do now just have to figure out why the pumps are humming to empty and not emptying them...
    2009 Moomba LSV..Kenwood Head unit Kicker subs and 4 wet Sound tower speakers..3 kicker amps.. Green and Black ( green like the payments black like my eye when i brought it home ) lol J/K

Quote Originally Posted by Gottop69 View Post
    Cool... This is what I will do now just have to figure out why the pumps are humming to empty and not emptying them...
    Did you check the line from the bag to the pump to make sure everything is air tight? If air is getting in, the pump won't be able to draw a vacuum and suck water out of the bag.

If everything is air tight, did you check the impeller to see if all the vanes are there?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Gottop, one irritating thing about the new G3 systems we have...

If your battery runs low (from playing the stereo while floating around for a length of time for example), the pumps do not work real well.

You'll hear it running, but you won't see didly poo coming out.

I once had to disconnect the fill/drain line and let the water run into the engine compartment, to let the bilge remove the water.

Got two batteries?
    Last edited by SC Ink; 07-05-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Just noticed one thing gottop...

you stated:

"I also need to upgrade the pump propeller.. Or impeller.. I think the one that drains the bags is messed up.."

why are you thinking that you just have one pump draining the bags?

Also - if your pump impeller was shot, water would not stay in the bag. You would be constantly refilling it (been there done that)