Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking like a cold water day for the first trip out!

Going to take the boat out tomorrow on pickwick lake in West TN. It's supposed to be nearly 90 degrees here tomorrow but the water temps are looking to be high 50's if not a little cooler. I have a 2mm springsuit. Am I nuts to go out and try and ride?
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    Temps near 90?

You'd be nuts not to go for a ride.

Drink yourself a couple of beers, pee in your suit, and enjoy the day

You'll warm up real quick when you hit that vinyl on your deck that's been in the sun all day.
    That's what I'm thinking!
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Tow Rig:

55 degrees is what I start my season out with. I went out last weekend and the water temp was 54. I dont wear a suit either. When I first jumped in it took my breath away but it all depends on your tolerance for cold water. Im only 140lbs of skin and bone too and I could bear it.

Cool

55? Get at it!! 90 outside temps we seldom get. A wetsuit would help. Soon as ice come off the water we go . Start with drysuits,then wetsuits ,then birthday suits,with shorts on top.HaHa.
    07 Outback DD

you'll be fine in a 2 mil if you pee in it. wear your life jackets especially if you're drinking- cold water drownings don't result from hypothermia they result from the initial shock of the cold water- jump in without the wetsuit to see what i mean. this time of year when the air is warm but the water is cold you'll hear about fishermen that stood on the front of his boat to take a leak fell in and didn't come back up. Have fun and be safe.
    2008 OBV
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    you'll be fine in a 2 mil if you pee in it. wear your life jackets especially if you're drinking- cold water drownings don't result from hypothermia they result from the initial shock of the cold water- jump in without the wetsuit to see what i mean. this time of year when the air is warm but the water is cold you'll hear about fishermen that stood on the front of his boat to take a leak fell in and didn't come back up. Have fun and be safe.
    Hmm...not sure if thats good or bad information to have.

Tow Rig:

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    just got back from water survival school. water 60 degrees and colder you will be in shock for the first three minutes, unable to hold your breath ect. after that you will be fine until hypothermia sets in. water draws heat from your body 300 times faster than air. if your body temp drops to 82 degrees its game over.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420.

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I think you'll be fine! I went once a month for the past year wearing only some very short shorts, my life jacket and gloves. And a Santa hat for December haha. The worst was in January and February when the water was 36 and the air was about 40, but I still did it. I learned I was able to hold on a lot longer if I kept my gloves dry while I was getting up. I didn't spend a lot of time in the water though, so if you are planning on that maybe the wetsuit wouldn't be such a bad idea. It is going to be about that warm here tomorrow and I am hoping the water will be 50, but I am going out either way. Hope you have a great day!

My first day was February 19th. Water was about 54. Wore the wet suit and I was fine. You just got to want too, thats all. I'm still alive. Been going nearly every weekend since.

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    Hmm...not sure if thats good or bad information to have.
    you'll be fine just be safe- the main danger is if somebody falls in without expecting it and is not wearing a life vest. I'm planning on going out early tomorrow AM and if I can do it in Indiana you can do it a few miles south of here
    2008 OBV
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow
    attracted to shiny things that float