Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Talking Finished the Ballast... I think.

So I've completed my ballast with some of the ideas I've talked about on other threads. First I've upgraded by adding an additional Rule Fill Pump.

Next I added a new header from Home Depot so all the solenoids are out of the way and I have a new feed for my second pump.

Last edited by newty; 02-22-2009 at 08:51 PM.

And lastly I've used one of the unused drain ports on the front ballast bag and made a new overflow that feeds my integrated bow sack (ok not really ibs, but it will work for now).

And installed a new separate discharge pump that will eventually feed out right next to the factory floor ballast discharge.

I have yet to water test yet so we will see what happens. Worst case I'll have to upgrade to a 1" thru-hull for water supply. But at 10 gallons a minute each pumps should feed fine through 3/4 since 30gpm is reccomended max flow through 3/4 pipe, plus its shuch a short shared route I don't think I'll have problems.

Newty

Newty,

What a great way to not have to drill in the bottom of the boat

Pictures are truly worth a 1000 words- i now understand what you were doing.

Let us know how both pumps work, I might just have to copy some of this. I think i would just plum one of the pumps directly to my surf bag and just block off one of the port's on the manifold.

What bag are you useing in the bow lbs?
    Last edited by moombadaze; 02-22-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

600lb big air (cheapy) I used to fill it in the walk through but it will be nice having it out of site. Eventually I'll get an Integrated bow sac but until then this will get me at least 350lbs in the bow.

Nice. Let's see if I understand correctly:

- you have replaced the solid intake pipe with a solid T junction of the same diameter, feeding to two pumps.

- These two pumps feed (using some larger-diameter hoses) into a two-to-three header, which go to the three sprinkler valves as usual.

- The original hoses from the solenoid-controlled valves to the sacs remain as original.

- Your center sac's unused port now fills the new bow sac, fed from the port side.

- The new bow sac will drain on the starboard side into... will it rejoin the existing plumbing, or just go into the bilge?

Did you do any rework of the sprinklers after the header? I think that there was some talk of changing the valves for larger ones, or removing springs, or some such.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, that is really impressive and also happens to look like a fun way to spend "some" time.

Unfortunately, I have never seen a ballast system and would have no idea where to even begin. But those are great pictures and a great description.

Ian, to answer some q's
    I'm actually the one that found the spring fix on the solenoids so yes the springs are removed.

I did not change the diameter of the pump discharge hose. The clear just looks bigger.

The original manifold had water fed on one side, and the new one has a pump fed to each side.

The unused port on the center sac is correct. When the center sack is full it overflows into the bow sack. Then when I want to empty it I just turn on the bow discharge pump. Just like you would any other sack in your boat.

The bow discharge pump is plumbed up to the where the center sac discharges out through a thru-hull fitting. I have not bought the fitting or drilled the hole to the new fitting/plumbing.

Make sense?

Great work. I did not notice the water filter after the pumps. Did you remove it out or can i just not see it in the pic's?
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Just another bottleneck in the system. There wasn't so much as a grain of sand in it after a year, so I deceided to get rid of it. The only place debris will hang up is in the solenoid and they are easy enough to clean.

Interesting... I may try something similar on my XLV. I think that I can rig up one of my original rear sacs (a 250) in one side of the bow. Since the XLV has a deeper floor, I should be able to just fit its extra "burping" top valve nearest the bow to the intake of the 250 -- and just leave it like that. It should flow back out right through the center sac, using the same hose and with no drain pump.

I don't think that I want to have the drain set up on the other side... right by the electrical stuff. I don't trust my own ability to put together something that will reliably be water-tight. I'd probably end up with the drain pump spraying water all over whatever will be most expensively damaged by it, or perhaps just when I need a boat failure the least (boat full of women, upwind of rocks).