Quote Originally Posted by GreenGhost View Post
I'm new here and don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if the symtoms listed in your quote are usually caused by water in the gas.

I purchased a 97 Moomba Boomerang in the middle of the summer for what I thought was a good price.

Ran fine on the hose in the guys driveway, but would barely start when I got it home. I had a friend, who is a former marine mechanic rebuild the carb. When he took it off there was a gasket missing, and the high speed screw was completely closed. We also found ewater in the gas. I syphoned the water/gas out of the tank, and added dry gas, but it still doesn't idle, and sometimes puts out black smoke. It also sounds like it is backfiring through the carb when running close to WOT. I just had it winterized, but am trying to figure out where to start next spring in getting it running right. My regular marina specializes in outboards, and I've heard some stories that doesn't make me want to take this inboard to them, since their shop rate(like most marinas) is so high.

Thanks
Im not a huge fan in Carb rebuilding, its a lost art form in the automotive world and a lot of guys think they can do it and cant. I for one feel that most of the time if the guy isnt at least 60 he is BSing you on being a card rebuild expert LOL.

Anyhow seriously, buy anew Carb. Its like 500 bucks, no issues then and put it on.

Sounds like a timming issue if its back firing threw the carb at full throttle. Sounds like it isnt advnacing enough, might look into the Distributor and check the timming advance springs and weights to make sure everything is clean and working smoothly.