Thread: Back online..

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mgswake View Post
    Unfortunately, Mr Fusion only eliminated the need for nuclear power. The DeLorean still ran on gas. That was the dilemma in the third movie when there was an arrow shot through the gas tank. Sorry, hate to burst your bubble.

Just wanted to give you a hard time. Back to the Future is one of my all time favorite movie trilogies.

But to your actual point, I agree that the electric boat will be a hard sell to anyone that wants to spend a full day on the water or a longer trip where electric hook up for charging isn't readily available.
    The time circuits weren't nuclear. That baby was electric! They just needed the nuclear reaction to create the 1.21 gigawatts to power the time circuits. Just the engine for the car took gas. I can't figure out why Doc didn't replace the gas engine with Ford's crate electric motor from the Mach E when he was replacing the nuclear reactor with the Mr. Fusion and doing the hover conversion. Also, how did the gas engine power the car after the hover conversion. Further, wouldn't it have been wise to have put the car in hover mode as they approached the bridge in the 3rd movie? Lastly, if Doc Brown could build a nuclear reactor small enough to fit in the DeLorean motor compartment, why wouldn't he commercialize it in 1985. He could have been rich beyond belief!

Those motors and batteries had better get a lot more efficient, include solar everywhere, or something has to change! I hate spending $200 to fill up the boat ($350+ in the marina), but no way am I going to spend twice the money on an electric boat for an hour of use. Seems like it will be limited to a lake rental fleet.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    The time circuits weren't nuclear. That baby was electric! They just needed the nuclear reaction to create the 1.21 gigawatts to power the time circuits. Just the engine for the car took gas. I can't figure out why Doc didn't replace the gas engine with Ford's crate electric motor from the Mach E when he was replacing the nuclear reactor with the Mr. Fusion and doing the hover conversion. Also, how did the gas engine power the car after the hover conversion. Further, wouldn't it have been wise to have put the car in hover mode as they approached the bridge in the 3rd movie? Lastly, if Doc Brown could build a nuclear reactor small enough to fit in the DeLorean motor compartment, why wouldn't he commercialize it in 1985. He could have been rich beyond belief!
    Ah, yes. Great points. As Marty would say; "What the hell is a gigawatt?"
    2023 SL400

previous - 2000 SAN210