Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    it does freeze here, but the boat is indoors in an insulated garage. guess I'll try just the draining of the block. still going to fog the engine as it seems to be a standard, unlike the anitfreeze/empty debate. every boat up here fogs.
    It only takes 10 minutes to drain the water out (two engine block plugs, one muffler plug, disconnect the exhaust manifold drain hoses, and two plugs on the v-drive). I'd personally spend the 10 minutes rather than risk a $5,000 repair bill in the spring.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

yea, going to drain vs antifreeze. I have read the faq and know about the vdrive, engine and muffler drain plugs. just not going to bother running antifreeze thru. the little bit of water that may be left won't be able to expand as my garage doesn't freeze.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Drain plug ????

we just took our 2000 Moomba out today to enjoy the warm weather. I noiced that one of my peacocks(block drain plug) is leaking some. Can that be tightened too much and strip or break? Also what is involved in changing it out for a new one?

is it leaking from the block or the actual valve? you can try some plumbers tape on the threads. or there just may be a little rust in the valve thats preventing it from closing all the way open n flush then close
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

thanks for the info. It is leaking from the plug, I will take it all the way outg and check it over real good, again thanks

Replace it with a two piece drain plug and you won't need to worry about it again. Do they still use petcocks on the newer boats? I replaced those on every boat I had especially my last boat where it was difficult to get to them but a wrench would work.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

you guys with newer boats still under warranty who do the winterization yourself... is that ok in sc eyes or will they fight you try to say you aren't certified to do it. i thought about doing it myself to say the cash but didn't wanna cause an issue down the road if something would happen to the engine

You have to be comfortable doing the winterization in that you are leaving no water in the system that could freeze. Freeze damage is not covered by warranty. Yes I,ve always done my own . even on my brand new boat, as its wintered on my boat house lift. the info on here is outstanding
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 03-09-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    You have to be comfortable doing the winterization in that you are leaving no water in the system that could freeze. Freeze damage is not covered by warranty. Yes I,ve always done my own . even on my brand new boat, as its wintered on my boat house lift. the info on here is outstanding
    so if i pay a dealer to winterize it and they f it up and something freezes its not covered? i'm at the mercy of my dealer to make it right is that what your sayin doc?

An inboard dealer I would hope would not mess it up. These motors are very easily winterized. You would have to go after who ever winterizes and prove that they messed up. All the accessories have to be winterized as well, heater ballast, shower ,old speedo pickups,etc. You have to be comfortable that you or who ever is doing it is very knowledgeable!
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug