Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I tow my "06 Outback with the standard cover a total of around 4500 miles every season. I have done this for 3 seasons now, and not one blemish on the gelcoat. It does take some planning though.

First thing i did was buy some fleece, and sew it around the straps where they come in contact with the boat, then as stated above, I twist them, and make sure no loose ends can flap in the wind and rub the boat.

Next thing i do is shrink-wrap around the boat's rub-rail. The next thing i do is use an old piece of camping foam, and place it over the windshield. The cover does a great job of keeping it secure.

Once I get to my cabin (which is a 36 hour non-stop drive) all I need to do is remove the cover, and scrub all the bugs off the tower. That is a mess!

I know it is not recommended to tow with the factory cover, but I tell you, with some planning and caution, it CAN be done. The cover is showing no signs of wear by the way.

Cheers

Well i guess it can be done for the long haul ... there's no way i'd go through all that for the one hour trip to the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckskier View Post
    I tow my "06 Outback with the standard cover a total of around 4500 miles every season. I have done this for 3 seasons now, and not one blemish on the gelcoat. It does take some planning though.

First thing i did was buy some fleece, and sew it around the straps where they come in contact with the boat, then as stated above, I twist them, and make sure no loose ends can flap in the wind and rub the boat.

Next thing i do is shrink-wrap around the boat's rub-rail. The next thing i do is use an old piece of camping foam, and place it over the windshield. The cover does a great job of keeping it secure.

Once I get to my cabin (which is a 36 hour non-stop drive) all I need to do is remove the cover, and scrub all the bugs off the tower. That is a mess!

I know it is not recommended to tow with the factory cover, but I tell you, with some planning and caution, it CAN be done. The cover is showing no signs of wear by the way.

Cheers
    2007 Mobius LSV