Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Letting the kids take the boat, without me... Do I?

I knew this day would come. They are well trained and well prepared, but not sure I'm ready for this.

My daughter is 23, just graduated college, and son 21. I've had them behind the wheel of the boat and basically in all aspects of boating, boarding, surfing since they were old enough to see through the windshield. So this summer they have a group campout planned with friends up on one of the mountain lakes and the question came up about them taking the boat - without the parents. Mostly, without me.

They've made runs before without me, but never launching and loading and being completely on their own.

My daughter is probably the best captain I know, my protege, and my son is right up there as well. I'm not worried about them being reckless or crazy showing off for their friends or using poor judgement. (at least I don't think I am) I'm more concerned about any mechanical issues that may come up and how they would handle it. Or other idiots on the water causing problems.

Anyone else in this boat? LOL What would you do, or not do...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'm sure you'll be cool with it and pass the torch.

Remember my story about letting my friends borrow my boat when I was out of town? They had the advantage that my wife went with them.

Best quote from that adventure was the people in the FB group saying, "I'd let my buddies borrow my wife, but not my boat!"

The 2nd time I let them do that, my buddy dunked the trailer way too deep and when my wife drove the boat on the trailer, she cashed the prop on the inner frame rail... But my two buddies and my wife all chipped in thirds on the prop repair.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

In my view of these scenarios….. it’s usually not the people you entrust (your kids) but the others they bring along and how they can…. Influence them !
    2022 Makai
    Fire Red - Pecan ChillTech - Woodgrain Gatorstep - 5% tint
    400 - 1.76 - Acme 3409 16x13 prop (15.5x15 Altitude/Wake spare) prop
    Ballast Mods: (aka TINRFD): 1000lb of lead and +700lb WM Bags (500lbs of more lead coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Dukabor View Post
    Iit’s usually not the people you entrust (your kids) but the others they bring along and how they can…. Influence them !
    this!!

won't give advice as everyone's level of trust with toys is different but will say post up what/how they did......
    this has the potential to be a proud parent moment or an expensive teachable moment
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    an expensive teachable moment
    Yeah this is what we need to avoid! Had enough of those in the last year already...

I know most of the friend group and they are good "kids" if I can still call them that. My hunch is my kids might be so paranoid being 100% responsible for the boat that they may not enjoy it as much as they would think. And I'd be sitting, ok pacing at home, paranoid as well. Ugh.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Sounds like you have respectful kids and ready to pass the handle.

15-20 years from now the kids will be telling the story "Do you remember when dad let us take the boat . . . . . . dang was that a good time".
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 05-20-2024 at 02:04 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Being in the risk mitigation business for almost 20 years, my opinion has changed a lot over the years. A lot can go wrong when you start talking kids, friends, lake, dads boat, no parents.

I was a kid allowed to use my parents stuff (cars, truck, boat) when I was young, but was scared shitless to ever let anything happen as I had plenty of ass beatings growing up and a lot of respect for how hard my parents worked for those things. So never had an issue with this type of thing. But at that same time, my brothers were not of the same opinion and had some pretty significant incidents over the years using my parents stuff that caused them a lot (like a lot) of grief and liability.

Only you know your kids and their friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Sounds like you have respectful kids and ready to pass the handle.

15-20 years from now the kids will be telling the story "Do you remember when dad let us take the boat . . . . . . dang was that a good time".
    Yep! Hopefully that will be the story and not follow that first part with " and it sank" . No, I think we all have to let them take the reigns from start to finish at some point. And I know it won't be a no worry situation. I'm just waiting on my kids to hit me up with the same request. I'm sure it's coming. But I get the feeling you have taught them well. And, a mechanical issue is only a phone call away from telling them how to deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

My son and daughter both grew up on the lake operating boats with us onboard of course. Both got their boaters licenses as soon as they were old enough. My son's first job was at the state park near us and he drove the jet ski to work since he didn't have his drivers license yet. Both worked at the Boys Scout aquatic base on our lake teaching skiing, wakeboarding and wake surfing so I was lucky they had the chance to be responsible for someone else's boat including cleaning and some maintenance before taking ours out with their friends. Only issue we have ever had was my son hit a submerged log and dinged the prop while teaching a bunch of Italian guys from his work to surf. I feel more secure when they are out on the lake vs driving on some of the roads with the all the distracted drivers out there.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    for me and my sis it's more like "remember that time that we took "x" and did "y" and mom/dad didn't even notice"
    as I have aged over the years telling stories about my youth to my mom especially she keeps saying "I never knew that"....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten