Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Knox is on point with his comment about slowing to an idle before returning to the downed rider. Doing a big turn under power doesn’t get you back to the rider much quicker and sends rollers out across the lake in a big circular pattern that you will be sure to contend with when the rider is back up.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

I added a thruster to my Makai. Not the same system as on the Supras so cant comment on the amount of thrust but it sounds similar. Enough to back straight up and slowly turn the boat on its axis in either direction.

As for the use cases I think all of the comments are spot on. I don't think it will help much to get back to your rider quicker. Turning the wheel opposite of your surfer (the surf tabs help) while coming off plane already kicks the boat around almost immediately so no need for a thruster there.

I do use it some once I get back to the surfer just to position the boat in the direction I want to go relative to the rider. Like mentioned, its not an issue for advanced riders but some of the younger ones and novices like to come up on the surf side and thruster makes that easier especially if it is windy or you want to switch directions and head back where you came from. My kids have also just started trying some dock starts on a wakeboard and it was really nice to be able to keep the boat aligned while bringing them the rope and easing out the slack.

Docking is great and I use it every time even if it is just to bump it for a second or two to make it slide in perfectly. Any slight mis-alignment that might previously have needed to be handled by your bumpers or dock hands is now easily adjusted for with the thruster.

Also love being able to back in a straight line or turn against the prop rotation. Backing into the beach is now easier and no more big sweeping 180's in reverse because I cant point the back of the boat where I want it to go.

Have been driving inboards for a really long time so definitely didn't need it but it sure is nice to have. Don't think I will ever own another boat without one.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Keep in mind thrusters are not for hotdogging a 6000# boat like a jet ski LOL.

The reality is, they are a steering aide that helps a v drive behave like an out drive.

I will say so far, I can dock this boat with nearly zero steering wheel input.

My wife has no idea this boat has thrusters and her comments were, “wow can you dock this boat smooth”

Just small tweaks with the thruster control and viola.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See, that comment from your wife is worth it alone! Nothing better than having someone in the boat or standing nearby comment on how well you can handle docking or trailering a boat well! Makes your head swell every time!
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Default Supra thruster review

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Maybe the power turn folks will figure out how to drive eventually. I couldn't see thrusters saving me any more than a few seconds. It was meant for docking, trailering, tight spaces, not open water maneuvers.
    I’m with you in the power turn folks on the lake. Same people wanting the ballast systems to fill in 2-3 min or maybe someone who worries about a wire hanging along side the steering wheel? Ha ha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki
    2018 Supra SL400

I should have clarified my comment about decreasing pick up times further, I can see how wasn’t very clear now. What I should have asked was if you thought it would be faster to turn around for pickups using the boat to idle, it spins around 180 from the wake/wave, back in gear at a low speed to pickup the rider.

I’m splitting hairs here but my curiosity is that with the thruster aid during the idle spin maneuver would potentially decrease the times. If you took say 5-10 seconds off every pickup time every time you rode that would add up to a significant amount of time over the course of a year. I probably fall a lot more than most so could be some time savings there haha!

A lot of evenings we are racing against sunset to squeeze all our riders in so anything to increase the “ride time on board” would be a massive benefit. I plan on getting the thrusters for the next boat regardless but was looking to see if anyone had found any extra benefits to them besides the dock/trailer. I can try and shoot a quick video on my non-thurster boat to show the phase I hoping would have the time decrease benefit I was asking about.

I always slow to a stop and let the wave pass me by before turning around. That's a BIG wall of water to be trying to get back through on a near instant turn around. Very few of my riders are ready by the time I get back to them. Most of the time the boat never stops for me though. Toss me the rope and keep going. That saves some time.

Break in is done, next day out I will be towing riders.

I will see what thrusters will do. My theory is it won’t help on getting the boat turned around as I wait for wave to pass.

But I do think it will be great for getting rider the top and set up to pull.

So far, I am enjoying the thrusters.

BTW, docking is so easy.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Tested thrusters with retrieving rider today..... definitely a plus.

It helps slightly while you wait for wave to pass, I can get the bow around enough to nose through the passing wave.

But where the thrusters shine is when you are near your rider. Easily idle bow at your rider, then thruster pivot around them. So easy.

Align where you want to pull your rider with thrusters and throttle down.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I am jealous of those thrusters. Pulling my 24+ Makai into my lift on a windy day from the side is a B****!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    I added a thruster to my Makai. Not the same system as on the Supras so cant comment on the amount of thrust but it sounds similar. Enough to back straight up and slowly turn the boat on its axis in either direction.

As for the use cases I think all of the comments are spot on. I don't think it will help much to get back to your rider quicker. Turning the wheel opposite of your surfer (the surf tabs help) while coming off plane already kicks the boat around almost immediately so no need for a thruster there.

I do use it some once I get back to the surfer just to position the boat in the direction I want to go relative to the rider. Like mentioned, its not an issue for advanced riders but some of the younger ones and novices like to come up on the surf side and thruster makes that easier especially if it is windy or you want to switch directions and head back where you came from. My kids have also just started trying some dock starts on a wakeboard and it was really nice to be able to keep the boat aligned while bringing them the rope and easing out the slack.

Docking is great and I use it every time even if it is just to bump it for a second or two to make it slide in perfectly. Any slight mis-alignment that might previously have needed to be handled by your bumpers or dock hands is now easily adjusted for with the thruster.

Also love being able to back in a straight line or turn against the prop rotation. Backing into the beach is now easier and no more big sweeping 180's in reverse because I cant point the back of the boat where I want it to go.

Have been driving inboards for a really long time so definitely didn't need it but it sure is nice to have. Don't think I will ever own another boat without one.
    What thruster system did you install and how difficult was the install itself?
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop