Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp help!

Quote Originally Posted by mcjimmy33 View Post
    All correct, I was over simplifying. Basically just wanted to say the amp doesn't care how much power your speaker can handle, it will blow it to pieces.
    In a way, yes. the amp does not know the power handling or voice coil size of the speaker, simply "sees" the impedance and has a designed output potential, based on that impedance. heck, amps dont even know how many speakers are connected, again, just the load placed on the chnl(s). We can power 1 or a 100 speakers, as long as the impedance is within the amp safe limit. Power would suck to 100 speaker per chnl, but the amp doesnt care Luckily, the gain and volume dials can be used to regulate the amp's output, up to its potential.

If this amp has even half its stated RMS, it should NEVER go into thermal shut down driving a pair of 4 ohm 8" coaxials. Even being class-AB and in death valley, the gains should be pretty conservative. If it is a thermal event, it will take more then just lowering the volume to get the amp back on line. The amps usually need a few minute or more to cool. Not ruling out, id just place heat down on my list.

What gauge wiring was used to power the amp and ground? On an amp that size, especially if it’s not super efficient, hopefully it’s 4ga at the bare minimum. Also, check all the fuses, in-line on the power cable (hopefully a 80-100 amp minimum) and if there are any on the amp. I have seen weak fuses, but they’re not visibly blown.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

So you had four tower speakers all worked fine? And you upgraded to two kickers that now don’t work properly. Process of elimination sounds like you didn’t wire something correctly Post some pictures of how you wired it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig