Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wetsounds rev 8 and sub. What amp?

Installed a pair of wet sounds rev 8 speakers and want to install a single 10" sub with them on same amp. Which amp should I use and how would I wire it?

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv

I would suggest that you consider not using a single amp for those 2 zones, unless its something like the Wet Sounds SD-4 or Syn-6. These amps will handle the load without batting an eye. Those are the two hardest driven zones in a boat. Using a 5 or 6 chnl amp in 3 chnl mode has all chnls driving a 2 ohm load. Thats a lot to ask of most amp. Using dedicated amp allows each to be driven at a more comfortable pace, each by their own power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrichard1987 View Post
    Installed a pair of wet sounds rev 8 speakers and want to install a single 10" sub with them on same amp. Which amp should I use and how would I wire it?

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv
    You should be able to accomplish this in a single amplifier chassis. We know you have a single pair of Wetsounds Rev8s but a good amplifier recommendation cannot follow until we know the specific subwoofer in play (brand/model/size/impedance). If you are still looking to make the sub selection then at least give us a size target.

Well I already have the amp that came with the boat I could wire into the sub (don't have a sub yet) to make things simple I should just do that. Now I just need to find a good quality amp for the rev 8's that's not a $1200 wet sounds amp. I was told clarion xc6410. I want to make sure I'm giving these speakers the best power they deserve!

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv

A single amp option for the rev-8 would be the HT-4. 300W rms potential.

Is that not too much? Don't the speakers want continuous 200 watt rms? I'm a heavy duty mechanic so I'm mechanically inclined but I have very little experience with stereo equipment so forgive my lack of knowledge haha

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv

I want to make sure I'm giving these speakers the best power they deserve!

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv
    Is that not too much? Don't the speakers want continuous 200 watt rms? I'm a heavy duty mechanic so I'm mechanically inclined but I have very little experience with stereo equipment so forgive my lack of knowledge haha

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv
    Targeting above a speaker's RMS is never a bad thing. The added headroom means performance can be achieved at a lower volume dial setting and the gain level can be set lower. Also, keep in mind that with most typical amps, there is a difference in output between engine running alternator voltage and engine off static battery voltage. This equals less output.

Jordan,
    Don't select an amplifier until you have selected a specific subwoofer.
    Once having a specific sub in the plan you may find that a single chassis multi-channel amplifier has adequate power and thermal stability. Or you may need to step up to a 5-channel amplifier with separate power supplies. Or you may have a sub that dictates the need for separate amplifiers. But the sub and speaker selection comes first.
    To place a finer point on Mike's power comment. An unregulated amplifier will typically lose 25% of its 14.4V rated power with a more realistic 12.6V supply with less power as the supply voltage declines. So when recommending the right power we tend to include these type of facts in our assessment.

So unless I run my dial full blast continuously I should never have a problem right? Shouldn't be a problem for me as I always pack my kids in the boat and am really trying to get the sound more out to the rider than in the boat. Any pointers on getting more sound out there and less in the boat? Kinda hard with the forward swooping tower I'm guessing

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv

So unless I run my dial full blast continuously I should never have a problem right? Shouldn't be a problem for me as I always pack my kids in the boat and am really trying to get the sound more out to the rider than in the boat. Any pointers on getting more sound out there and less in the boat? Kinda hard with the forward swooping tower I'm guessing

Jordan
    2014 moomba möbius lsv
    Right. And if the system is tuned correctly that really helps keep you away from potentially damaging power. You must stay within what has been pre-determined as a full non-clipping level and be disciplined as the day gets longer, your ears become traumatized and loud no longer sounds as loud.

Right again. It is difficult because whatever is loud at the end of a rope is MUCH louder just a few feet away. That much is unavoidable. You can cheat just a little by raising the angle on the tower speakers. They may not rest perfectly parallel with the ground when on the trailer but will run parallel with the water when the boat is pulling and squatted.