Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Syntec cleaning

Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks again for the advice. I ordered some spray nine from the site and picked up some 303 cleaner from a local marine store here.

I was cringing as my guests were globbing on suntan lotion and sun block, though I can't really say 'don't put any sunblock or sun tan lotion on'. I suppose I'll just clean the vinyl after each time out when sun tan lotion or sun block is involved.

My boat is moored in water, not on a lift. The dealer suggested I take the boat out every couple weeks and wash the hull to help prevent blistering. Does anyone suggest a particular hull cleaner? I looked at quite a few at the local marine store here, but many of them said they strip the wax off. Needless to say I'm sure the wax is important to have on the boat. Do I need to re-wax the hull after each cleaning?

My owners manual packet came with a Syntec stain removal paper saying the vinyl in my boat is Syntec's olefin fiber. The only suggestion for cleaning is 'household detergent and warm water'.

Rob - Not sure about hull cleaners, but if try the Marine nine one first if the basic spray does not remove it all. Basic boat soap and a boat brush work for me. Always try the least caustic and least abraisive solution first.

Waxing is very important, and I'd bet a hull cleaner would strip off the wax, so rewaxing would be needed - basic marine nine does not strip wax. A good wax will keep the hull able to allow most dirt to jsut wash off esaily. I can't imagine that a month in the water will cause that much build-up.

Syntec makes the carpet, and it is Olifin, and should be cleaned according to the info you read. Vinyl is not olfin. and I still think that G&T makes the vinyl (though Syntec does make some). I do know that the thread they use now to sew the seats is olfin - I'd be interested in seeing what you are reading.

-Joe

p.s. don't freak out on your boat patrons - they are not killing your boat by laying around w/ suntan lotion - just try to use towels as much as possible and stay away from that spray on suntan lotion - that stuff is BANNED from my boat. 303 is your piece of mind as well.

-Joe

Default Ooh

I see, that pamphlet is for the carpet. I thought it was for the vinyl. Why do you ban the spray on stuff? Just because it gets everywhere?

I noticed one of my guests using Hawaiian tanning oil: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16302_33...isturizing.htm on the boat. Do you happen to know if some tanning oils are less dangerous than others?

I'll certainly be putting a coat of 303 on the boat. Sounds like that is really important to do. As far as the hull, I bet boat soap and a brush will do the trick. Cleaning the hull once every 2-4 weeks is more about removing lingering chemicals from the lake than removing marine plant growth or anything like that.

Default Re: Ooh

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Why do you ban the spray on stuff?
    I also require that the spray on stuff be used OUT of the boat. That stuff gets everywhere and some of the brands can actually discolor the vinyl. One of my friends sprayed on the lotion off of the boat and then immediatly jumped in the boat and sat down. When he leaned forward, he had a red and dark gray stripe on his back from my vinyl. It did not hurt the boat, but it took him a while to get my seat pattern off of his back. I am sure if this happened enough it would eventually show in the vinyl. I haven't noticed this issue since using 303 on the vinyl.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Good to know. 303 will soon be my best friend I'm sure. I wonder if anyone has experience with one brand of tanning oil being more vinyl friendly than the others?

-Robert

I've had suntan lotion stain the vinyl in two different places. I had to replace the vinyl in both cases. I'm not sure which lotions caused the problems. I just have people lather up and absorb the lotion into the skin before getting in the boat.

It seems like my wife mentioned it containing an oil base.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

WD-40 is a great cleaner and is good for your seats, I spray my down & wipe off on a regular basis, it truly is good for vinyl it extends life...

Babe's seat soap...hard to find, order directly from their site...simply amazing stuff! highly recommended. Meguire's vinyl protectant after that is the ultimate in my opinion.

WE have been using the continuous spray sunblock.. it is aerosol and NOT oily... Does not seem to get everywhere....
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold