I'm in the market for a new(er) boat. I currently have an old 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190 (direct drive). I found this 06 Supreme that looked awesome for a reasonable price. It's a v208 and it's only got 75 hours on it. The boat appeared to be in great shape. It's got some black scorpion engine with 300+ hp (not sure of the exact number). Anyway... first impression was that on take off, it was much slower than my old boat (stock ~250 hp supposedly). Also, it handled sluggishly (even with the ballasts empty). The other thing I noticed was that if I took my hands off the steering wheel, the boat would immediately veer to the right (sharply, not just a little bit). It took considerable pressure on the wheel to make it go straight. Also, when the boat was in neutral and I just put it in Forward, there was a ringing noise (from transmission or v-drive?). The guy said it always sounded like that.

Since this is the first time I've driven a v-drive, I wanted to know which (if any) of the things above sound "normal" and which indicates a problem with the boat. Thanks!