Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
nice Al!

So guys, tell me more about this blue sea batt switch

what's all needed and what does it all cost...if I decide to give the perko a shove.

Am I seeing circuit breakers on each cable?
Ed,

When you say Blue Sea batt switch, I assume you are referring to the Add-A-Battery package which is comprised of the switch and the automatic charging relay (ACR). With this system in place, your batteries are isolated when the engine is off and combined when the engine is running. This way, when you are just sitting and listening to your stereo, it is only running of your 2nd battery so you won't accidentally run down your starting battery and leave you stranded. Then once the engine is running, the ACR will combine the batteries so that they are both receiving the charging current from the alternator. You set the switch to ON and forget it as this will all happen automatically. There is also a combine position on the switch in case your starting battery has a bad cell or somehow gets discharged. Putting the switch on "combine" connects both batteries so that you can start and run the boat off the 2nd battery.

With just a battery switch (Pergo or Blue Sea) you have to manage this process manually or run the risk of running your batteries dead leaving you stranded (which will happen eventually).

The add-a-battery system costs about $120 shipped. You'll also need (2) 100A fuses (or circuit breakers) and some 4 gauge power cable and ring terminals.

Yes, those are resettable circuit breakers on the power cables - I opted to go with them instead of fuses so I don't ever have to worry about having spare fuses on board (thanks to Razz for this tip).

Below is a very good FAQ on the Blue Sea ACR.

http://bluesea.com/viewresource/1366

And below is a product sheet on the Add-A-Battery system. I think you will find both documents very helpful.

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/s...,000%20KB).pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Al