Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
would be nice to see some head to head reviews of the few vendors that sell hlcd speakers. some independent magazine testing, but I doubt it will ever happen. there seems to be too much of a price disparity between the bottom and top brands and I'm guessing those at the top would not want the results published
501-post up your .02 when done..

da man, that old fosgate stuff was the bomb. used to dream of a basic system using 2 punch 45's. owned an old power100, but haven't ever seen one since. it was the baby to the power 300/1000. ran 25x4 and it pounded for what it was. I remember a company called waveguide that made a hlcd for under the dash for a few years. some guy had a car with those and the rest alpine system that cleaned up the show circuit for a few years. never caught on in the car world, thinking due to size and cost, but interesting that they(hlcd's) ended up being the premium tower speaker.
I'm hoping the Polk db651 will do ok as cabin speakers. It's $150 for 3 pair and free shipping so if they sound bad it's not a huge loss. I really would like the Wetsounds 6.5" cabin speakers but that will be $700.

501 - I personally would not have tried to use the db651 as tower speakers but how do you think they would do as cabin speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by 501 View Post
I remember the wave guides. I never heard them but they got great reviews.

I ended up ordering 4 of the HLCD's from Ken at Bullet Lines for a smoking deal. I was just going to order the drivers but ended up ordering can's too so I could sell my Polks as complete tower speakers and hopefully almost break even. I am going on the word of Ken and some internet reviews, so I hope these speakers are as good as they look.

I have an old but very Powerful Pioneer Premier Amp that will feed the speakers with about 120-150 watts of RMS power so they should be well matched. I can't wait to hear them and hopefully the out perform the Polks. I also blew three of the Polks this year (perhaps from overpowering) but they were replaced on waranty so we went a lot of the summer without music and I don't want that to happen again.