So next weekend I am going to attempt to install my new amp, tower speakers, run the wires, and add a second battery to power the tower. Should be interesting. My father is going to help (he's good with electrical and building stuff as well as thinking outside the box). I don't have any experience installing stereo equipment but we're going to give it a try. Everyone on the board has told me I can do it.

Anyways, I wanted to think ahead a little and ask about amp racks to see if you audio gurus had ideas or could share what you did or built (pics definitely welcome). My boat is a 2008 Supra 21V. The amp that I have (factory Kicker) that powers the in-boats sits in the compartment behind the observer's seat (like most I imagine) and is attached (screwed I believe) into the fiberglass side on the right (never really looked in detail at how it was mounted but that's what I think). I believe that I'm going to need to build an amp rack for the new amp and want to get your expertise on build ideas and mounting ideas as well as a list of materials you suggest I build it with. I've read other topics on this that said people used MDF and carpeted it. I don't see this compartment getting wet so I'm assuming I dont need treated wood? I've seen a post on another forum where someone cut four pieces of 2x4 about 3 inches wide and tall, cut out 4 like-size shapes in the carpet in his compartment on the left side (hull side) and I think glued the wood to the hull, let it dry, the screwed the MDF amp rack to those four pieces.

Also, when I run the speaker wire, what do you guys all use to secure the wire clamp-wise? Anything in particular I can pick up at HD or Lowes?

Are there things that I need to consider or remember when building and/or installing this amp and rack?

I obviously don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for any help you provide. I'd like to pick up the materials this week so I am prepared for this weekend, maybe even get around to building the rack and carpeting it.

Justin