What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I was just talking to my wife and she said she thinks it is absolutely absurd to take gas money from her best friend's latest gentleman friend. Or anyone for that matter. Her arguement is that we asked them to come out on our boat. Which is not always the case in reality.

I am somewhere in between in that I appreciate the consideration, as I have ALWAYS offered a driver of another boat I was spending the day on gas money. That being said, I would NEVER ask for gas money especially from any of my wifes lady friends that come out. But I must admit it is very mildly irratating that I have taken this fella out 5 different times this summer and never once has he offered a dime. Not even to pick up cold beer. This guy has 3-4 friends I have met that are boat owners, so it shouldnt be his first rodeo.

Am I turning into a grump in my old age? I'm turning 30 this year for goodness sake.

So do you guys take it and say thanks or do you decline and say thanks? Furthermore, would you say that it is more common for someone to offer gas money than not?