Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What size and style of anchors?

Bought the Mobius XLV this past weekend and it didn't come with a Anchor so I was curious what style and size is everyone using. I'm planning on using 2 danforth anchors but not sure what size to get.

Personally I am using a river/mud anchor-5pounds, a smaller danforth for upto 20ft boat, a large danforth for upto 30?ft, and have 1 sand spike, and 1 dog leash screw in the ground thing. Most of the time the smaller anchors work just fine. I only use that large anchor if we are camping and the boat is staying in the water overnight or its really windy out.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Using a box anchor. the smallest size they come in. Works well. Even when the wind is strong enough to flip it out of the ground, it almost immediately catches again by itself.
    2007 LSV - All red
    Wetsounds PRO 80's WS420 Eq
    Acme 1433

I use a 16lb. river for all situations and works well, but then we only ride on lakes.

Also i use an Anchor Buddy with it, makes shore anchoring much more easier. Anchor about 50' out with stern to shore. Stake out shoreline and pull boat in to load/unload and let it back out and tie off. Boat stays about 20' off shore and out of rocks and such.

Made my own shore stake by using a 24" steel rebar stake from Home Depot. Then cut a 26" length of schedule 40 pvc pipe, glued a pvc closed cap on one end for a stake case. Insert stake and slip another closed cap on the open end. That way i can carry it in the rear locker without worry. Picked a vinyl coated 2.5 lb sledge i carry also.
    2007 Mobius LSV

clarkro2 - No anchor. Only once have I wished I had one, and that was so I could enjoy the pro wakeboard show at a Skier Choice jamboree summer of '08. We either run or sit on a lift, so an anchor presents no practical use. Also, it's just another thing taking up space. Our play environment on a small lake seems to differ from others on this board, so be sure to get the benefit of their experience. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I use a Danforth with a 4 foot chain and an anchor buddy I made myself along with the dog stake out. Last week at Lake Roosevelt there were no boats and the water was glass so I nosed onto the sand which I don't do often. Besides, the music is going the wrong way but I was too lazy to anchor out.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    clarkro2 - We either run or sit on a lift, so an anchor presents no practical use.
    If you have an engine failure and start drifting toward rocks or a cartoonishly large waterfall, an anchor will start to look pretty good. Besides, it's a bit more ballast!

I use a Danforth. I am not sure what its size or weight is, but it's the largest that had easy ingress and egress from the XLV's front right underseat storage. It holds reasonably well against the local lake's mostly muddy bottom. I also have a smaller Danforth from my previous boat as backup.

Thanks for the responses. I went with a small box anchor since I'll be mostly using the boat in lakes. Also went with 4 feet of chain and 150 ft of rope. Will test it all out tomorrow on the lake. Have a nice weekend everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    If you have an engine failure and start drifting toward rocks or a cartoonishly large waterfall, an anchor will start to look pretty good. .
    amen to that- perhaps it's the years experience as a kid boating on less reliable boats but I've always felt an anchor was a pretty important safety item. In the event of engine malfunction it's the first thing I reach for- buys time to collect thoughts especially if it's windy. Using a 12# river on my boat with 4 ft chain- so far has held in some pretty windy conditions.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

One thing about anchors is the area that you go and how the bottom of the lake is. I also have a box anchor and it works great for the river but most of my likes it sucks. This is becuase the ground is so hard because it drys in the winter it cannot dig in. My friend has a 30lb triangle anchor and it works great. The box anchor works great if it can dig in.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill