Hybrid View

I just purchased an 09 XLV and i originally had the same concern about the horsepower and I have not been disappointed with the 325. I typically have 6-10 people on board with their gear and have run with the ballast anywhere from empty to about 80% full and she comes up on plane much quicker than I would have expected. I do have the upgraded wakeboard prop which does make a difference. You also may want to see if your dealer will let you demo the boats.
    2015 MOJO
    09 XLV - Roxy Blue (SOLD)

Sled491 Guest

I know what you mean about the speed. I went from a 60mph boat to a 45 mph boat. But you get used to it. In fact at the Midwest Jamboree the other weekend I was just comenting to Deerfield how cruising at 28 mph with these boats is just fine. Good sound, good feel, and you get to see more

yea, I will miss running down the lake at 80 MPH, but I think it will be a good change. My question is, if I go to the dealer to demo, is it going to be the boat I purchase? my reason for asking is I read about the engine break in and the rpm's shouldn't be above 2000 RPM for the first two hours and really that isn't going to show me how well the boat operates. Hopefully I will have a new ride within the week, just gotta make that big decision!

Thanks again Matt

Sled491 Guest

No they'll have a broken in boat the have registered and have been using all summer for your demo, because your right, what kind of demo is idle speed

I have an XLV with the 340 HP engine. As far as I can tell, the main difference between it and the modern 325 MPI is a bit more top end, good for a few MPH at the expense of a lot of fuel consumption. You can hear the extra ports open up around 4800 RPM, pouring money straight into the water for you. I cannot remember the last time that I actually used that -- maybe 3 years ago? Having the extra bit probably helps with getting out of being bogged down in a tight turn when running heavy, but I never do double-ups. I strongly doubt that the 325 MPI would have caused me any realistic difference in real-world use.

Definitely get the upgraded (lower-pitch) prop. With it, my XLV tops out around 40 MPH, but I rarely go much over 30.

When some newbie asks me about my boat's size and power, I answer, and then as he takes that breath that is intended to sputter out "WOWTHATMUSTREALLYGOFASTHOWFASTDOESITGO", I interrupt him and say "But it's a towboat, not a speedboat, so of course the important thing is how well it tows and shapes the wake in the operational range of 18-24 MPH. You must already know something about these things, since you did not embarrass yourself by asking the top speed. Nobody cares what a tow truck's top speed is." That pretty much covers it.

When people ask me how fast my boat goes. I tell them well my boat weight 3500 + fuel and gear. it holds on average 2K Ballast and at 6K pounds i still go 40.

I go 40 empty and i go 40 full. Thats the bottom line.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yea, less speed is better, to many people dying in high speed bass boats. looks like I will have it next week, just sold my 08 bass boat today, trying to get the z-5 added to the supra at no charge so it isn't more expensive, but still in limbo about which one to get. Anyone here ever do there own 20 hour inspection? Im a long way from a dealer and I am mechanically inclined.

Thanks Matt

I would say the xlv but that is all defendant upon whether price is a big factor for you and exactly what you are looking for as far as performance.