Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ****HELP**** Boat will not crank!!

So about three weeks ago we too the boat out for the first run. It is a 2000 Moomba Outback. When we got down to the water I realized that one of my battery's was bad. I took it back to the parts store and swapped it out and the boat cranked fine and ran great. We only were out for a hour. Two weeks later we took it out for a nice day on the water. I ran the boat for three hours with out a problem. OK now the rest of the story.... Memorial day we attempted to have a nice day on the river. I charged the battery's the night before so I would not have any issues. We dropped it in and it fired up perfect. We rode about five minuets down the river and shut it off so the kids could jump in. We were there for 10 minutes and went to fired it back up and nothing happened. I had a guy tow me back to the dock and I jumped the boat off with my truck. It fired up and off we went. We rode up and down the river for about a hour to make sure the battery's were good and charged. We dropped anchor for a couple of hours and I cut the battery switch off. I fired it up and it was fine. We pulled my daughter on the tube for 30 minuets and turned it off to load her up and it would not start. So I got towed in again. I ordered a new alternator and just got it installed. Now with the battery fully charged it will turn over twice then nothing....HELP!

Have you ruled out the starter going bad?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddXLV View Post
    Have you ruled out the starter going bad?

The starter turns over as soon as you turn the key. It will turn over 2 maybe 3 times then it is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000OUTBACK View Post
    The starter turns over as soon as you turn the key. It will turn over 2 maybe 3 times then it is dead.
    Ok, check your battery connections then the switch between battery 1 & 2. I had a switch go bad years ago on my old boat. Also you can make sure your starter is good and you are still getting power by using a simple test light at the starter. If you don't get power then you have connection problem most likely back at the batteries. If you still get power then you have a worn out starter. Starters can act very weird when they are dying. They can start perfect for a day and not all the next day then a little of both the 3rd day.

So you are saying you still have all accesory power when the engine won't crank? It sucks getting towed. I was towed a few years back (old boat) on the Columbia river in Eastern Washington on a Memorial Day weekend. What a way to ruin the rest of your weekend when everything was planned around the boat.
    Last edited by ToddXLV; 06-01-2009 at 01:13 AM.

I have totally took the swich out of the loop. I am runing one battery right not so I can figure out the problem.

When I go to crank it, it seems like it is a real high compression engine.(the way it sounds) The motor spins very slow, but on my volt meter I am showing over 13 volts. As the motor starts to turn over very slow it kills all my power.

Id take the starter out and take it to the local Auto Parts store. Pep Boys, Checker, someone who can test it. Sounds like the starter is sucking the battery dry.

They can easily pull 600 Amps a second and kill a new batter after only a few starts. If you can isolate the starter to one battery and run your accessories on the second then you can also find out if the starter truly is killing it or not. You might have an assessory pulling a lot fo amps. I would doubt this but its possible.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yep, I'd agree with Mike.

Not from my mechanical expertise, but from experiences with the old boat. Same symptoms you're having were cured with a new starter.

Good luck!

One thing so you can make sure nothing draws power when you're not using the boat. There is a main breaker switch (at least on my 06 XLV) that should be installed right below the battery switch. I always press that button and open the breaker when I am done boating. So no power can be drawn from any accessory no matter what. I started doing that when my bilge pump started automatically turning on because it became unmounted somehow. That's the next thread I'm just about to start...

Sled491 Guest

Brand new batteries just don't get killed that fast. I'd definately have the starter checked out.

I just ordered a new starter... I will see if that helps....