Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where to put the sub??

Hey i've got a kicker 10" square sub and im not sure where would be the best place for it? My boat is an 07' outback v. The two places are either where the battery sits on the lefthand side of the boat or under the steering wheel back in the floorboard. Any suggestions?

Sled491 Guest

I have debated the same problem. Many put it on the drivers side, in fact I think this is the location the factory places it. Do you have heaters?

The dealer installed mine under the drivers side dash, the factory pust them in the same place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -McMoomba

2008 Outback V

I have one on both sides and the one behind the clamshell is way louder. however you have to have the seat opened a little for the sound to escape. The kicker 10 will not sound good in the factory location because it is not a free air sub. I'm thinking of turning my sub under th dash forward and putting a new baffle in. when I do I will report back. I had it that way in my old boat and it sounded incredible. If you are any good with wood I would give it a shotwith a foward facing or side facing sealed box, with a baffle (or a carpeted board) to hide it all and help hold the sound under the dash a little for the deeper, louder bass.

I have 2 12" mtx woofers in my 07 outback one is under the passanger windsheild area and the other is by my feet but not like stock set ups I have a enclosed box sitting on/built into the angle of the floor firing toward the side of the boat it is a huge pain with the 12" the smaller 10 would have been better choice

I am going to redo the passanger side on because it take up way too much space in that compartment and people keep putting stuff on the sub I want to free up some spacce and make a rack for the amps now they are mounted to the subbox

If I only had one I would make a box for the driver side I dont even notice its there anymore
    2007 Outback V

Oh yeah If you want cleaner better sounding bass fire the sub toward a solid part of the boat like my driver side sub when the sound waves hit the solid hull the bass is disbursed throughout the whole boat instead of firing staight at you

Just remember to keep the sub a few inches away and make sure the box is the correct size for the subwoofer too that can make or break a good sounding system to a great sounding
    2007 Outback V

It is funny that you ask this question becasue i am about to start this project next weekend. I will be placing mine under the seat behind the drivers seat. Making a custom box that will slide in from the rear storage area. I followed the wires (after some great advice) that the other speakers are powered by and they run around the bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    It is funny that you ask this question becasue i am about to start this project next weekend. I will be placing mine under the seat behind the drivers seat. Making a custom box that will slide in from the rear storage area. I followed the wires (after some great advice) that the other speakers are powered by and they run around the bow.
    Jester I also thought about doing that myself But I decided not to because the box and sub have a decent chance of getting wet by people getting in and out possibly bag issue ect... unlike under the dashes If you only have one like I said I would make a custom box to fit on top of the hump hi and dry less chance of getting wet

But If you are set on putting it there then I recommend getting some figerglass resin and coating the sub box to make it more waterproof at least 2 coats on it too
    2007 Outback V

Well my issue is that under the dash i have a heater. I will be making it water proof. I have noticed that most people do not get out of the boat on that side. The only time people are on that seat is when the boat is full or when i am putting up or taking down a wakeboard. Also under that seat is more or less useless. It is hard to get the seat in and out.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    Well my issue is that under the dash i have a heater. I will be making it water proof. I have noticed that most people do not get out of the boat on that side. The only time people are on that seat is when the boat is full or when i am putting up or taking down a wakeboard. Also under that seat is more or less useless. It is hard to get the seat in and out.
    Thats true that seat is a pain in the butt to get in and out
    2007 Outback V