Default Cleaning Boat Cover

Does anybody have any good ideas on cleaning boat covers? Mine got a bunch of bird sh*** on it this weekend. Can I just throw it in the laundry machine? (not sure the wife is gonna like that)

I have taken mine to a high pressure car wash to clean it. I hang it on the wall using the clips for car mats and the poles for propping it up in the boat: works well.

If I were going to use a machine, I think I would go to a laundry mat with one of those industrial sized washers. Either way, you may consider using a waterproofing agent on the cover after you have cleaned it.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Sled491 Guest

With the boat still on the lift and cover secured, we just spray a little water on it and scrub it with regular push broom. Then just hose it off again. This should work on your trailer as well just need a ladder. The Sparrows crap on my cover soo much sometimes from a distance it looks grey!

Sled, do you waterproof it?

Max makes a good point, but trying to waterproof that entire cover sounds like a job. And it puts me back into the same dilemma. How do I do it? I don't want to spray waterproofer all over the cover while on the boat, but where else do I get it to lay just right.

Sled491 Guest

Kelsey,

I have never water proofed my cover. Mine has not leaked yet, but I did buy 3 adjustable poles to hold it up so no pooling to really get a leak.

Anyone have a good product to use for cover cleaning? Ours has some brown patches from where water has settled... Cheers!
    2019 Moomba Max
    Indmar Raptor 400

Quote Originally Posted by apf4 View Post
    Anyone have a good product to use for cover cleaning? Ours has some brown patches from where water has settled... Cheers!
    I cleaned a spot on the driveway and used warm water, simple green, and a soft brush.
    Rinsed with a hose. I assume a pressure washer could be used, but I never had a cover that was in bad-shape. I'm not sure about the comment (above) about putting it into a washing machine.

Once dry (propped up to dry), I used some waterproofing - StarBrite and 303 make a good product - you can find that anywhere online. Use a yard pump sprayer.
    It's probably $60+ for the 1-gallon container.

Yearly application probably depends on where your boats sits and/or conditions.
    On my 2007 every other year worked fine once the cover was starting to get old.
    On my 2018, I have not sprayed it yet, but will probably clean and spray before this summer.
    2018 Supra SL400

I have been using this product for several years and works well. I leave my boat tied to the dock all summer and find that the cover stays waterproof for about 2 years. The cover is also a deeper black after treatment and looks brand new. It takes me 4 X $14 cans to treat my 20’ Mastercraft with 2 coats (I haven’t had to treat the Moomba yet). Make sure that you are in a well ventilated area when applying, it packs a punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

I haven't used Kiwi on my boat cover, but I have used it on my tents and boots before. Yes, it works very well, and it does have a strong odor when it's wet.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I agree. Used that on boots and left them outside for a day or two.
    2018 Supra SL400