Default Downtown Chicago

We are looking to take a cruise (in our pontoon, not our Moomba) around Lake Michigan and/or the Chicago River this summer - anyone have any recent experiences with that? Where did you launch and park the trailer? What overnight accommodations exist for the boat?

TIA for any and all info!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

I've read something on social media about Chicago trips. I will see if I can find it.
    2018 Supra SL400

Overnight slips are available from Chicago Harbors in a variety of locations at https://www.chicagoharbors.info/daily-dockage/

Sounds like a fun trip!

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    I've read something on social media about Chicago trips. I will see if I can find it.
    Thanks, I'm interested in any and all info!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Overnight slips are available from Chicago Harbors in a variety of locations at https://www.chicagoharbors.info/daily-dockage/

Sounds like a fun trip!
    Yeah, I found that just looking for more details than exist on the website
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

On a weekday when the wind is out of the southwest, trailer to Lloyd Park Launch in Winnetka. Cruise from there down the lake shore to the area of Navy Pier. Find a place to leave your boat secure for a couple of hours. Take the guided architectural tour of Chicago by river. Great experience. Take time to walk and enjoy Navy Pier. Back to your boat and head north. Hang out in the breakwater areas of Ohio or Oak Street beaches. Then cruise back up to Winnetka. Trailer the boat and head home from a full day on Lake Michigan.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Dempster Street Launch ramp is good and closer to the city. It is in Evanston. I believe they still do power boats launch. Wilmette Harbor I beileve does as well. Both are close to the city.
    Last edited by rockymtnsurfer; 05-08-2024 at 08:34 AM.
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    On a weekday when the wind is out of the southwest, trailer to Lloyd Park Launch in Winnetka. Cruise from there down the lake shore to the area of Navy Pier. Find a place to leave your boat secure for a couple of hours. Take the guided architectural tour of Chicago by river. Great experience. Take time to walk and enjoy Navy Pier. Back to your boat and head north. Hang out in the breakwater areas of Ohio or Oak Street beaches. Then cruise back up to Winnetka. Trailer the boat and head home from a full day on Lake Michigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    Dempster Street Launch ramp is good and closer to the city. It is in Evanston. I believe they still do power boats launch. Wilmette Harbor I beileve does as well. Both are close to the city.
    Thanks for the info, but both of those locations are a pretty good haul from where we want to be on the lake and the river. We lived in and around Chicago for many years and have done all the popular tourists things but really want to see the city from the lake and river.

It looks like Diversey Harbor has a launch with a decent size parking lot but I haven't been able to find out how popular that spot is and hence how available it is for general use. If anyone has any experience with Diversey please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate