Default Raptor with Water in Exhaust Manifolds

Had a couple lazy / open O2 sensor codes thrown this season on one bank, but no real degradation in performance and she never ran warm. Finally got a chance to drop the boat off at the dealer to get some new sensors under warranty, but received a surprise when they found water in the exhaust manifolds and cats.

Supposedly they replaced both right and left bank manifolds / cats... they mentioned it was an issue with the casts and an uncommon failure. So I'm surprised that both sides bit the dust at the same time.

Are the manifolds jacketed with raw water cooling or would the water intrusion have to come from upstream via the exhaust?

I'm suspicious that something wasn't winterized properly the previous season... and also curious what other gremlins were created by running a season with cracked manifolds.
    Last edited by rhouse181; 12-15-2022 at 07:12 PM.
    2020 Kaiyen

The manifolds are fed via raw water side.

Only way you would crack both from freezing is if the crossover hose wasn’t drained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Did warranty cover it all? I would hope it did.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Did warranty cover it all? I would hope it did.

Agree that the most logical explanation for both manifolds failing was a missed crossover hose last season.

The repairs were covered under warranty... would have been a painful one out of pocket.
    2020 Kaiyen

I know someone who had the cylinders fill with water while the boat was tied to the dock. Turns out he had left the boat tied to the dock with the stern facing the open water for an extended period with the ballast full. His boat was equipped with surf exhaust, which has no flapper to keep water from working its way up the exhaust system.Could this be related to what you’re seeing rhouse181?
    Last edited by Tommy2slow; 12-16-2022 at 11:09 PM.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2slow View Post
    I know someone who had the cylinders fill with water while the boat was tied to the dock. Turns out he had left the boat tied to the dock with the stern facing the open water for an extended period with the ballast full. His boat was equipped with surf exhaust, which has no flapper to keep water from working its way up the exhaust system.Could this be related to what you’re seeing rhouse181?
    That's a very interesting thought. With no flapper, I could see where that might be possible with the right wave action making like a pump. Probably not very common or likely, but possible.

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    With no flapper, I could see where that might be possible with the right wave action making like a pump. Probably not very common or likely, but possible.
    do some searching on centurion. they have had issues with hydrolock on boats when you leave the ballast full and park. not real common but enough to hit the forums and lots suggest not leaving the flood tanks full.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten