Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    I'd be curious what your total weight is with the trailer fully loaded. My 24x8.5 is 4,000 empty, 10,000 gross but she's got a heavy tongue. Will squat my truck an inch or more even when it's empty. Will squat our Nissan Armada even more so usually need a WD hitch when pulling with it. Nissan is rated to tow 8,500 too but they suggest anything over 5,000 to use the WDH. What's the Durango rated for?
    I don't know how to act my age... I've never been this old before.

    2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I'd be curious what your total weight is with the trailer fully loaded. My 24x8.5 is 4,000 empty, 10,000 gross but she's got a heavy tongue. Will squat my truck an inch or more even when it's empty. Will squat our Nissan Armada even more so usually need a WD hitch when pulling with it. Nissan is rated to tow 8,500 too but they suggest anything over 5,000 to use the WDH. What's the Durango rated for?
    The trailer's empty weight is 2,215 pounds. It's a 7 x 14 tandem axle w/ electric brakes. Maximum gross vehicle weight is 7,000 pounds. Tongue weight is 180 pounds.

    Tow capacity of the Durango 3.6L V6 is 6,200 pounds. With the 5.7L V8 it is 7,200, 7,400, or 8,700 pounds depending on the package.

    Whether the Durango or another RAM 1500 crew cab, we will get the 5.7L V8.
    Last edited by deerfield; 05-06-2022 at 08:34 PM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

    "When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    6,854

    Default

    I'd buy the ram if you don't have another one. we couldn't live without a truck. suv's are nice but several times a year seems we need the bed capacity of a full size.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    One year later and we finally have a cargo trailer. It's 7 X 14, w/ a V-nose. Electric brakes. Two lines of E-trac on both sides and two lines of E-trac on the floor. Pleased with the purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

    "When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Prince George Canada
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Just read that you were thinking of purchasing a Durango. My experience as a Durango owner was not a good one.I had a 2011 Citadel purchased new:

    Engine failed outside of warranty -camshaft lobe went flat, likely from a failed lifter
    Left wife left stranded a couple of times with small children due to an issue with the 4X4 Hi/Low switch on console. The switch was eventually re-engineered and the issue was resolved.
    HVAC blew hot air on passenger side in the summer and cold in the winter
    Sunroof replaced 3 times under warranty but never stopped leaking.
    Rear hatch seal replaced twice under warranty but never stopped leaking.
    Early corrosion around front door handles not covered by warranty.
    To replace Hi-beam bulbs front bumper has to come off.
    To replace battery front passenger seat has to come out
    The rear hatch safety system to prevent the door from closing against an object failed so the door would close fine but then pop back open while driving down the road. Replaced every component in the system but the problem still existed so had to secure the door with a bungee from the hatch to one of the child restraint mounting points on a rear seat.

    Build quality on these vehicle was extremely poor. I would not recommend this vehicle for your next purchase.

    Worst vehicle I’ve owned and I have had a few lemons in my day.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Cost of repairing the engine was about $7,000. Replacement engine would have cost about $12,000. And a new truck, when available, was going to cost north of $50,000. The body and interior are in pretty good shape. No rust or anything like that. The transmission, 4-wheel drive, and rear end all in good shape, as well. So, even though the Durango was initially a possibility, happy to report that we are keeping and hoping to put another 200,000 miles on the RAM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

    "When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    6,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Cost of repairing the engine was about $7,000. Replacement engine would have cost about $12,000. And a new truck, when available, was going to cost north of $50,000.
    my old man ran across similar issue with his older toyota 4x4 truck. new one is 40k. rebuild the v6 and it comes with 2 year warranty for 6k. body was fine-no rust and everything else works as it should, just old. he now has a toy with a rebuilt engine and hoping for another 150k.
    probably a lot more decisions like this happening with the stupid price of new cars today.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2slow View Post
    Just read that you were thinking of purchasing a Durango. My experience as a Durango owner was not a good one.I had a 2011 Citadel purchased new:

    Engine failed outside of warranty -camshaft lobe went flat, likely from a failed lifter
    Left wife left stranded a couple of times with small children due to an issue with the 4X4 Hi/Low switch on console. The switch was eventually re-engineered and the issue was resolved.
    HVAC blew hot air on passenger side in the summer and cold in the winter
    Sunroof replaced 3 times under warranty but never stopped leaking.
    Rear hatch seal replaced twice under warranty but never stopped leaking.
    Early corrosion around front door handles not covered by warranty.
    To replace Hi-beam bulbs front bumper has to come off.
    To replace battery front passenger seat has to come out
    The rear hatch safety system to prevent the door from closing against an object failed so the door would close fine but then pop back open while driving down the road. Replaced every component in the system but the problem still existed so had to secure the door with a bungee from the hatch to one of the child restraint mounting points on a rear seat.

    Build quality on these vehicle was extremely poor. I would not recommend this vehicle for your next purchase.

    Worst vehicle I’ve owned and I have had a few lemons in my day.
    I have a 2013 Crew with pretty much every option. It gets the job done, but I haven't seen as many issues as you have. The biggest problem I have had is with the exhaust manifolds breaking all the bolts due to the header warping on the HEMI engine. I understand this is an EXTREMELY common problem on the HEMI. The dealer wanted $4k to fix both headers. I took it to a local shop and they said just one needed to be fixed and after reading advice from others, I had them machine the existing header face to prevent it from happening again, which cost me $1800 total for the repair. The current issue I am having is a short in the rear wiper spray pump. On a hot day I came out to see water all over the pavement at the back of my car. I had to pull the fuse for the sprayers, which causes the front to disconnect as well. I still haven't bothered to figure out, but I am guessing it won't be a cheap fix. The condenser for the AC also leaks and makes a ton of noise and I was told by the dealer it would be $1500 to fix since the whole dashboard needs to come off. I am at 90k miles and it is still OK though.


    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Prince George Canada
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    I have a 2013 Crew with pretty much every option. It gets the job done, but I haven't seen as many issues as you have. The biggest problem I have had is with the exhaust manifolds breaking all the bolts due to the header warping on the HEMI engine. I understand this is an EXTREMELY common problem on the HEMI. The dealer wanted $4k to fix both headers. I took it to a local shop and they said just one needed to be fixed and after reading advice from others, I had them machine the existing header face to prevent it from happening again, which cost me $1800 total for the repair. The current issue I am having is a short in the rear wiper spray pump. On a hot day I came out to see water all over the pavement at the back of my car. I had to pull the fuse for the sprayers, which causes the front to disconnect as well. I still haven't bothered to figure out, but I am guessing it won't be a cheap fix. The condenser for the AC also leaks and makes a ton of noise and I was told by the dealer it would be $1500 to fix since the whole dashboard needs to come off. I am at 90k miles and it is still OK though.
    Yep, I forgot to mention the cracked exhaust manifolds.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5

    Default

    You can get the vehicle history check about the VIN which can be done online at https://epicvin.com/vin-decoder/mercedes-benz. It is very important to check the car by VIN-code, especially if you are going to buy a car. You see, some dealers are so cunning that they weld car parts together and then sell them in other states so they don't get caught.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •