Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Private sales

Quote Originally Posted by rhouse181 View Post
    Your knackered either way... wire fraud has popped off these last couple of months. We recently sold a property and the title company required a hard cashier's check from the buyer because they had recently "lost" a $500k wire.

I think you should just require a duff b of cash...
    Ha. I'd like to see Jim's face if I dropped a duffle bag on his desk.

Don't ask any questions, don't mess with serial numbers....just take my cash

(I promise it won't turn your face blue when you open it)

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    Ha. I'd like to see Jim's face if I dropped a duffle bag on his desk.

Don't ask any questions, don't mess with serial numbers....just take my cash

(I promise it won't turn your face blue when you open it)

Might get you to the head of the line for build slots lol
    2020 Kaiyen

Quote Originally Posted by rhouse181 View Post
    I think you should just require a duff b of cash...
    I had a guy from cali last summer when we sold our z3 ask if he could bring up cash in $100's/20's. 59.5k sale. sent a text pic of the funds.
    I was glad it was already pending with a deposit.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by 2in2out View Post
    The bank that issues the cashiers check will verify the check if you call them and ask. Compare branch information and hours via google search to ensure all is kosher.

I’ve done this when selling one of our vehicles and it made me feel a whole lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seems this common sense post is being ignored..

Call the bank that issued the cashiers check and let them confirm the funds- easy as that. Even my bank did this when I sold my last boat. This is common practice.

Some folks in here are over exaggerating the risk of a cashiers check..Yes people have been scammed, but you can get scammed with all sorts of payment options.

Large deposits of cash these days throw up red flags...even cash is a hassle.
    Last edited by brad460; 04-21-2021 at 04:18 PM.
    2021 Moomba Max

I honestly don't know and keep flip flopping.

Earliest I'd get either is likely late September/early October.

So basically I need to mentally reconcile that this summer could conceivably be significantly lamer.

(Unless Langston wants to rent me his boat when he's offshore )

Ya it is tough...... go SA and never look back or go Mojo and keep some coin in your pocket. Either way is a win!!

Sept/Oct Sounds like just enough time to get the break in done and couple good trips to get you to the first service. Then winterize her and wait for March.....

That sounds like it could be beneficial for you and Langston. LOL
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    Seems this common sense post is being ignored..

Call the bank that issued the cashiers check and let them confirm the funds- easy as that. Even my bank did this when I sold my last boat. This is common practice.

Some folks in here are over exaggerating the risk of a cashiers check..Yes people have been scammed, but you can get scammed with all sorts of payment options.

Large deposits of cash these days throw up red flags...even cash is a hassle.
    Not being ignored....just taking it all in.

Buyer and I just exchanged messages, we're on the same page.

2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

(Unless Langston wants to rent me his boat when he's offshore )

ha ha

Cody's got it locked up when I am out of town. And lucky for me I am going to be off June 5 to August 1, possibly August 14.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Do you guys feel comfortable accepting transactions with cashier's checks?

Or demand wire transfer?

Obviously wire would be preferred but doesn't look like logistics would work in this situation.

Buyer is coming in from Kansas Friday to demo Saturday. My lender Huntington, doesn't do wires on Sat/Sun.

What would y'all do?

Whoa buddy.... let me tell ya a little story about accepting a cashiers check for a boat sale sometime...... !

I personally wouldn't do it.. I'd meet at a bank. Once the cash is verified in your bank.. good to go..
    2021 Mojo
    2018 MAX - sold - 250 hours, absolute awesome boat.

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    Just depends on the situation.

When I sold my last Tige last spring a guy brought his family from SoCal to Utah to pick it up. We met up at my house the night before. We all instantly hit it off. He and I talked boats, his wife and kids went with my wife and kids to the neighbors house to hang out with all the lady neighbors while the kids played in a sprinkler. After a couple hours we decided we were all hungry so we ordered a bunch of pizzas and hung out talking movies and whatnot. The next morning we drove to the lake for a lake test. All went well. We drove back to my bank and he paid the bank directly for the payoff with extra funds going into my account. They gave him the title. We walked out, done deal. We then took a bunch of pictures with our two families together with the boat. We met up with them later in the summer at their lake and spent the day with them surfing.
    By the time we were done, I would have taken a personal check from him. Just a solid guy that I now consider a friend. We'll likely meet up again this summer as we have plans to be down that way. I know this is a rare situation.

That's cool that they had the title ready for you. Whenever I pay off a vehicle with a note, it's always wait for two weeks for the title to arrive.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    That's cool that they had the title ready for you. Whenever I pay off a vehicle with a note, it's always wait for two weeks for the title to arrive.
    My bank is really good about that. I call them up and tell them I'm selling and ask to have the title delivered to whatever branch we are meeting at. It's there the next day ready for us. We pay it off, they sign the lien release, notarize and done.