Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WI.
    Posts
    7

    Default Moomba Max ('18 - '20) or Supra SA450 ('13 - '14)

    Hi All,

    Looking for some advice. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Looking to buy the best wake boat possible this spring. I'm seeing some used SA450s and Moomba Maxs. Do I spring for the older luxury line or the newer Moomba? Things that matter to myself: reliability, wake board wake, features, and surfing (In that order LOL). If anyone who has owned a 2013/2014 Supra SA could enlighten me on the wake boarding/surfing that'd be awesome, and same thing with a moomba max. Wake board performance being the #1 goal!

    Thanks
    2011 Moomba LSV - Upgraded Ballast

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    iirc the supra sa back then is much different than the hull under today's supra sa.
    I'd wager the sa of the day will produce a mean wakeboard wake but the max is going to blow it away in surf performance.

    supras will be nice but sitting in a max and sitting in an 8 year old supra the max will feel every bit as "luxurious" and the max will have the added benefit of a raptor powerplant, newer technology running the boat and might even have a warranty left.
    max will have a whole lot more freeboard(night and day to the sa) if you boat on michigan at all. couple times out on the bay of GB we wished for more freeboard when the wind kicks up. our boat back then was very similar to the 13/14 sa.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WI.
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Awesome insight! I am leaning towards the Max for all those very reasons. Thanks!
    2011 Moomba LSV - Upgraded Ballast

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Lehi, UT
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crmeade53 View Post
    Awesome insight! I am leaning towards the Max for all those very reasons. Thanks!
    Agree with sandm....

    If you were debating between a new max and a 2018ish Supra...totally different conversation. The Max is pretty spartan even compared to the rest of the Moomba lineup, but it is a DEEP boat. One of things a sales guy/gal will tell you when shopping Moomba is how many of the Moomba fit and finish materials and technology trace their origins back to the Supras of just a few years ago...it's just a natural flowback. Moomba with 2-3 plus years of warranty has my vote.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,341

    Default Moomba Max ('18 - '20) or Supra SA450 ('13 - '14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    Agree with sandm....

    If you were debating between a new max and a 2018ish Supra...totally different conversation. The Max is pretty spartan even compared to the rest of the Moomba lineup, but it is a DEEP boat. One of things a sales guy/gal will tell you when shopping Moomba is how many of the Moomba fit and finish materials and technology trace their origins back to the Supras of just a few years ago...it's just a natural flowback. Moomba with 2-3 plus years of warranty has my vote.
    “Spartan next to the rest of the lineup”—it’s more like it’s missing a couple features. Dash, ballast, electronics, upholstery and all are virtually identical.

    No walkthrough, no hinges, tower option. Not much else?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dakota4ce; 10-28-2020 at 11:07 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    “Spartan next to the rest of the lineup”—it’s more like it’s missing a couple features. Dash, ballast, electronics, upholstery and all are virtually identical.
    No walkthrough, no hinges, tower option. Not much else?
    I think what guppy is referring to and we noticed it in several different lines as we shopped earlier this year are the amount of gel vs upholstery in a boat. max has more exposed gel than a supra and other moomba boats. it gives a different "feel".
    max has same everything else as you point out and performs just as well if not better from the hull shape.
    we saw this in atx as well. boat was nice but it felt "spartan" due to the upholstery patterns and amount of exposed gel. performance wise it's almost identical to an rzx22.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,341

    Default Moomba Max ('18 - '20) or Supra SA450 ('13 - '14)

    Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I think what guppy is referring to and we noticed it in several different lines as we shopped earlier this year are the amount of gel vs upholstery in a boat. max has more exposed gel than a supra and other moomba boats. it gives a different "feel".
    max has same everything else as you point out and performs just as well if not better from the hull shape.
    we saw this in atx as well. boat was nice but it felt "spartan" due to the upholstery patterns and amount of exposed gel. performance wise it's almost identical to an rzx22.
    Different upholstery patterns, yes for sure. More exposed gel...actually no. Same amount of gator step and vinyl coverage.

    But I get what you’re saying. The Moombas are pretty consistent across the line with that stuff. Walkthrough is the big noticeable one. 2021 Max really impressed me for being a supposed Tupperware model. Compared to my Makai the interior is damn near the same feel.

    After owning both varieties, I actually like the above engine storage access without the walkthrough. That’s where all the wet stuff goes.

    Have thought about adding a couple hinges.

    Spartan vs a Supra is of course obvious.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WI.
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Awesome guys. Really appreciate the thoughts and ideas!
    2011 Moomba LSV - Upgraded Ballast

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Lehi, UT
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    “Spartan next to the rest of the lineup”—it’s more like it’s missing a couple features. Dash, ballast, electronics, upholstery and all are virtually identical.

    No walkthrough, no hinges, tower option. Not much else?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough,

    Didn't mean to sound like it was not a well equipped boat, I came within a coin flip of ordering one. Maybe like sandm said, for me it was a "greater than the sum of its parts thing"...On paper, I'm sure you are correct, but the Max (IMHO) just felt a little more barren than the Kaiyen and Makai even though it probably wasn't. Almost like a Ford F150 XLT to a Lariat or something. That's the reason we actually decided to go with a Mojo if we had chosen Moomba. We thought the little things like hinges, upgraded stereo options, flow 3, multiple USB ports and bow cupholders (that are accessible), and full walkthrough gave the Makai, Kaiyen and (almost assuredly) the Mojo a bit more upscale feel. I would assume that SC somewhat agrees, as there is about a 10k delta in price between the Max and a boat 6 inches longer and the Max is about 5-7K cheaper than the Moomba that is a foot and half shorter.

    I shouldn't have said spartan. Comparatively less equipped and an incredible value is more what I meant.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •