Just looking for some advice. We currently have a Starcraft SCX 231 Surf boat which we dearly love for it's massive layout. It is the crazy reverse Volvo drive and we have been surfing on it for two years. We have a decent wave with all the extra ballast (3k plus stock of 1380), but it is not very long and the pocket is small. We achieved this by putting 3 800lb Sumo's on the floor...the boat interior is massive. We have fallen in love with surfing and are now ready to get a real surf boat and get even better at it. Our oldest daughter has moved on to college and even though we offered, she has not brought her group of new friends to come and surf. Our youngest two are 11 and 12 and they may bring a friend or two every now and then. We have a place on the lake and a dock, so we are not loaded up in the boat, but we would like to have the floor free and be able to set up the surf wave easier...I surf goofy, wife and kids surf regular...always got to be one clown in the group! Anyway, after a ton of research and looking at several options, we have decided the Helix or Max is the way to go. The high freeboard and beam is identical to our Starcraft...the kids love jumping off the boat since it sits so high in the water....countless hours of "Dad, judge who does the best dive, cannon ball, can opener". We don't really care about the fancy options on the more expensive boats either. As much as we love the Starcraft layout, the quality of the Moomba boat is way above the Starcraft.

So, the Starcraft with the swim deck is about the same length as the Max...24' and change. Our dock is only 20' long and is just a floating platform dock. The Starcraft doesn't quote fit it and we are on a busy part of the lake so we get a lot of waves. I have a really good whip system that protects the boat, but I feel the boat is a bit too large for our dock.

It appears, from all the research and videos I have watched, that the Helix can make a great wave. Being an engineer, I am not stick on the "bigger boat, bigger wave" thought process...we have a pretty large boat now and with all of our effort, we can't make it anywhere near what the Helix or Max waves look like in the videos.

I'm leaning towards the Helix simply for the ease of docking as compared to the Max. If anyone has been in both boats with upgraded ballast and set up properly, I'd like some convincing that I won't want to kick myself for not getting the Max, solely looking at the wave. We don't need the biggest and baddest wave ever, but something we can start working more tricks on and be happy with for a while. We are 45 year old life long athletes and both ski and wakeboard, but surfing is where it is at and way less painful, so we plan on surfing our days away until we can't anymore.

Thanks for any help and looking forward to becoming part of the Moomba family and part of this forum...I am part of many forums and modify all my vehicles and recreational toys, so I'll be on here a lot!