Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Central Bama
    Posts
    399

    Default Anyone using a T-handle or no handle surf rope?

    So I almost got my hand caught in the handle when I fell trying to surf yesterday. This is the second close call I've had with my surf rope and I'm thinking of trying a T-handle or simply a thicker knotted rope without a handle. I'm wondering if anyone here uses either and if it's any more difficult to get up with?

    Something like this...
    https://www.peterglenn.com/product/h...CABEgKJW_D_BwE

    Or this...
    https://www.wakemakers.com/proline-t...yABEgJtV_D_BwE

    I really wished Straightline made this one without a handle. [USER=2172]@Bill D[/USER] has this rope and it feels so good to hold with the foam "green pea pod" section.
    https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-...f-rope-10.html

    Anyways interested to hear if anyone runs one of these...
    2019 Moomba Max
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Red Deer Alberta
    Posts
    218

    Default

    I surf with a larger braided rope without a handle. Worries me about getting the handle wrapped around a leg or hand. A bit harder getting up for less experienced or riders without much grip strength.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 LSV
    2003 Outback - Sold

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    had a knotted rope for a season and loved it but kidder is right in that it's very hard to teach noobs with it. used a t handle once and it was nice but for whatever reason pricing has always been more than a traditional handled rope whenever I have needed one.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Ft Gibson Lake OK
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I like the T handle, its easier than the knotted handle for people that don't have a great grip strength. Its also weighted so if you drop it (or at least mine is) it will automatically go to the other side into the white wash and out of the surfers way. This is really nice for new surfers as they can just drop the rope without trying to toss it in the boat loosing their balance.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    So I almost got my hand caught in the handle when I fell trying to surf yesterday. This is the second close call I've had with my surf rope and I'm thinking of trying a T-handle or simply a thicker knotted rope without a handle. I'm wondering if anyone here uses either and if it's any more difficult to get up with?

    Something like this...
    https://www.peterglenn.com/product/h...CABEgKJW_D_BwE

    Or this...
    https://www.wakemakers.com/proline-t...yABEgJtV_D_BwE

    I really wished Straightline made this one without a handle. [USER=2172]@Bill D[/USER] has this rope and it feels so good to hold with the foam "green pea pod" section.
    https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-...f-rope-10.html

    Anyways interested to hear if anyone runs one of these...

    I don't let anyone put their hand thru the handle or coil the rope, it's a bad habit, you need to nip that ASAP even with these other ropes.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Central Bama
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I don't let anyone put their hand thru the handle or coil the rope, it's a bad habit, you need to nip that ASAP even with these other ropes.
    What do I do with the coiled rope though until I can eventually go ropeless? What happened was when I suddenly fell I tried to let go over the rope but with it being coiled up, I guess my arm went through into the coil by accident and I felt the handle go over my hand as well. I immediately pulled my arm back to get it out but it could have gone badly within another second. I’m afraid to just let the extra rope dangle by my feet in case my feet get wrapped in it.

    Last edited by haknslash; 07-02-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Kuna, Idaho
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Try going a loop in on the tower so you don't have as much rope in your hands.
    2018 Max - Wetsounds - Wake Makers upgrade

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kxmoomba View Post
    Try going a loop in on the tower so you don't have as much rope in your hands.

    Exactly, you have to much rope, looks like 5ft to long. It should be just long enough to keep you in the pocket with maybe 2-3 feet of play. That way when you get too close to the boat the rope will slacken/droop and you'll know to move back, to far and you'll get dragged..
    Last edited by parrothd; 07-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    What do I do with the coiled rope though until I can eventually go ropeless? What happened was when I suddenly fell I tried to let go over the rope but with it being coiled up, I guess my arm went through into the coil by accident and I felt the handle go over my hand as well. I immediately pulled my arm back to get it out but it could have gone badly within another second. Iím afraid to just let the extra rope dangle by my feet in case my feet get wrapped in it.

    I'd take the last section off. Think you are about 5 ft too long. On the yammy my rope was only 12 ft long. I think most surf ropes are too long. If you don't want to shorten it just let it dangle and try and only grad the handle with the first knuckles on your hand.
    2019 - Makai took delivery
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Kuna, Idaho
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadyus View Post
    I'd take the last section off. Think you are about 5 ft too long. On the yammy my rope was only 12 ft long. I think most surf ropes are too long. If you don't want to shorten it just let it dangle and try and only grad the handle with the first knuckles on your hand.
    I forgot we took the extension section off our rope and on our max we run on the third loop in I believe.
    2018 Max - Wetsounds - Wake Makers upgrade

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •