Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Maybe berg is measuring in Beers again ( 7.4 beers per bag)
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default Re: Trayson's 2008 XLV ballast system upgrade

How does an aerator pump work with a center bag and connected IBS? Can it drain both bags flat? My guess is you need separate fill/empty pumps for the IBS... Just asking not sure..

I have a forth reversible pump that I use to fill under the cooler seat or to fill an extra bag. My longest fill time is my center/IBS, 10-15 minutes but we rarely change it, usually fill it and forget it for the day. We sometimes have a long run back to the slip so I suck the bags completely dry, probably doesn't save anything but helps me justify running 3000+ of ballast..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    How does an aerator pump work with a center bag and connected IBS? Can it drain both bags flat? My guess is you need separate fill/empty pumps for the IBS... Just asking not sure..

I have a forth reversible pump that I use to fill under the cooler seat or to fill an extra bag. My longest fill time is my center/IBS, 10-15 minutes but we rarely change it, usually fill it and forget it for the day. We sometimes have a long run back to the slip so I suck the bags completely dry, probably doesn't save anything but helps me justify running 3000+ of ballast..
    My understanding is that aerator pumps don't generate enough pressure to piggyback bags.

That's another reason I'm going to just have the big 1180 gravity bag in my XLV.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Maybe berg is measuring in Beers again ( 7.4 beers per bag)
    Beer is the reason I get up every afternoon!

You may be able to double up filling bags on a single aerator but you wouldn't have much luck with draining both off one pump. I remember asking WM about this a couple years ago and while in theory it "could" work if gravity were on your side and the planets are in alignment and that cute blond in the pink is still on the beach when you get back, but in reality the piggy back bag doesn't drain into the main bag very well and the pump loses prime when the main bag goes down and you're done.

Hard tank + Piggy Back bag on top = Happy Hour.
    Bag + Bag = No Beer.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by valleywine View Post
    Why are some of you having trouble with bags filling up when the switch off? Is this the siphoning you're referring to? I haven't had this problem. And what is the vented loop for? I don't believe I have this. My bags will overflow through the drain line when full.
    Anybody know?
    2006 Outback V
    1992 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Quote Originally Posted by valleywine View Post
    Why are some of you having trouble with bags filling up when the switch off? Is this the siphoning you're referring to? I haven't had this problem. And what is the vented loop for? I don't believe I have this. My bags will overflow through the drain line when full.
    My understanding is this:

When you have a factory system with the sprinkler valves, the valves get closed and keep the bags from passively filling while the boat is underway.

I had a bad valve that was allowing one of my bags to fill while underway. $11 and a trip to home depot solved that.

If you have a custom aerator system and a scupper on the bottom, I believe that it's forcing water into the fill line, pushing it through the pump (despite it being powered off), and it passively fills the bag while underway.

With an impeller system, if you have bags that are filling while underway, it's most likely because your impeller is getting worn out and water is being forced past the impeller of the pump. I had this happening with my Supra that had a Ballast Puppy impeller pump.

I've been told by wakemakers that a vented loop can stop this. However, others on this forum have stated that it does not "fix" the issue. So who knows. I have read that going from the scupper through hull to just a mushroom will help with the passive filling issue. I assume it's because the scupper style through hull functions as a ram intake for the water...

As far as the siphoning, it's simply gravity creating a siphon because the intake thru hull is lower than the water in the bag and it pulls water out (through the aerator pump, the impeller pump should stop this and the water shouldn't go further than the impeller). The vented loop is designed to stop this from happening by putting an air break in the flow of water. Water can likewise be siphoned out when the bag fills higher than the drain thru hull, and people criss cross their vent lines to deal with this.

I'm certainly no expert, but that's what I've gathered thus far.
    Last edited by trayson; 10-31-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Check out my thread. I have pictures showing my scooper cut off and shortened to get the pump lower.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=22171

I was able to get rid of the sprinkler valves, and the bags never self filled.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Cool thanks guys. Seems to me that if you are having problems with the factory setup (wear and tear or worn out components) it would be logical to rip everything out and use a reversible system with the existing drains used as an overflow. I'm happy enough for now the way it is until I start having issues, I guess.
    2006 Outback V
    1992 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Impatience can also be the mother of ingenuity. Well that and beer.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Grayson, was thinking of putting these in the bow piggy backed of the center 1180, since the ibs won't fit without structural modification.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-m...-bow-sacs.html

Ran the a buddy's ibs on top of the seats and really liked the wave
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold