Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Replying to Topic 'Lemon law for boats??'

I did get an answer for Florida. The state lemon law applies to "motor vehicles" which included boats. Though I'd still like to give Skier's Choice a chance to address these problems directly. Maybe I've just had a bad dealer experience here in Jacksonville. That said, I haven't gotten any response at all from SC in reference to my boat issues either.
    I don't mean to bash Moomba. This is my second boat and I was very happy with the first. Actually. I've been happy with my XLV when I get to use it. The big ticket items are solid. The engine, trans, hull, tower all great. But a lot of the accessories are having problems. I just think that, like all vehicles, sometimes you get one that was put together too quickly, or on a bad day, or not quality checked before delivery. I have friends with various types of boats. They all have similar stories about ankle biting problems and chronic problems. Boats are boats. The difference is in the support.
    When these problems occur, and they will, the dealership needs to get them squared away quickly and properly or they're going to lose customers. What they need to understand is that one of the reasons they've been successful is that boat owners like me have sang their praises in the past. When boats have problems, and all will, buyers need to feel confident that they will get some factory/dealership support for their purchase. In my case this just isn't happening or it's taking long periods of time when it does. Where that puts me is a place in which I need to sell this boat before the warranty runs out or face a lot of out of pocket costs in the future.
    So that's what I'm doing. I've got to sell it or take the risk. Even at the "discounted" 45K, to add up the boat payment plus insurance, storage, and maintenence is about all I can do. $90 per hour of labor at the shop while my boat is out of use when I need it most is just not an option for me.

It’s nice to see Rick checking in while on the road.

When I’m admonished to show a little patience I point out that I have lots of patience, I just see no need to spend any more of it here. Sometimes I’m joking.

That said, I think you are in line to get some help here. Spending a little more patience with them now will probably serve everyone well. I hope they can make you happy.

On a more fun note I had my brother the ex-active duty USMC CH-46 pilot out with his wife and kids, as well as a friend of ours from high school (also ex-active duty Marine) out with one of his kids (ex-active duty because Marine is grafted to their brain and no amount of civilian training can remove it). It was too much fun. All that boat and the kids spent a third of their time just jumping off the swim platform. Every fallen rider was an excuse for a swim break and chaos was the order of the day. Note to self, cheese nips are not good boat food.

To quote Griz “Nice boat, I especially like the roll bar.”

LMAO at that. The tower will now and forever be identified as “the roll bar.”

Good luck,

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Thanks for looking into this Rick. I still have a lot of fun with the boat despite the frustrations. I just wish the little things worked right. I sent you an e-mail
    Sloppy

2001 Moomba Outback LS w/tower, ballast and 320hp Indmar TBI. 4 blade prop, front and rear ballast

I would like to know if this has been resolved for you? I am close to buying a 06 XLV/LSV and would like to know the final outcome.

When skiers choice heard of my problems, they called me, the dealership, and even the mechanic every day until all of my problems were resolved. Everything on my boat is fixed now. The customer service at skiers choice is excellent. I would not think twice about buying another moomba.

The lemon law in NY interests me as well. I have a 2004 Outback LS that has significant unresolved problems that have plagued it since it was new.

1.Screws holding the top and bottom halves of the boat together that are located under the L/R front storage lockers and the dash and observers seat come loose(out of their holes) about once every month. The dealer has tightned them and used resin to reset them but they still back out. There is movement between the top and bottom halves.

2.The back seat rest where it meets the bottom seat cushion has a large gap. The dealer has tried two replacements seat backs but they had large gaps as well. They reccomended lowering the seat back but when that is done water pools on top of the seat and seaps into the seat back cusion through the seam. The problem is both visual and functional as my 5 year old sons leg has slid into the gap several times.

3. The platform teak is warping, cracking, and seperating. The dealer deams it cosmetic. 3-4 times a season I sand and oil the platform.

4. The Boat-Mate trailer came with a very thin coat of paint and "pepper" rusted all over the first season. The hubs were painted on the top but not the bottom indicating that it was given a quick once over and shoved out the door of the paint shop. The dealer repainted parts of the trailer but it has significant rust where it wasn't repainted. The boat is operated in fresh water.

The oil gauge fell out of my dash as well but it was out of warranty when it happened. I fabricated a ring shaped doubler and slipped it around the gauge behind the dash in front of the fasteners. Worked great.

I bought a factory tower this spring and had the dealer install it hoping to avoid spider cracks in the gelcoat but had them anyway by midsummer. Also the platform mounts have spider cracks.

It's good to read about others that operate their boats for hundreds of hours without a problem. I would like to think that the problems I am having are fairly rare.

No Brian. Rick never contacted me. I sent an e-mail but have not heard back.
    Sloppy

2001 Moomba Outback LS w/tower, ballast and 320hp Indmar TBI. 4 blade prop, front and rear ballast

Good day

to all who have posted here and anywhere eles on this web site with unresolved problems by skiers choice reguarding outback / mobius LSV-XLV. i have had a nightmare of a time and see most of the problems i have with my boat posted here in these pages and other topics. i have a possible approach. do not wish to post here please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

I had some problems when my mobius was brand new, skiers choice fix them via mexican dealer very fast, let me tell you that mexican dealer is very far away and they even send a mechanic (very goodone in deed) all my problems are fix now and my boat runs very nice, all problems have a solution.

Best regards

Simon

Outback,

I'm not trying to argue with you here, I would just like to know something for my own edification....

Would you please explain what the reasoning is that you complain about Moomba on a public forum and then express love for them in private?

In an email response to my inquiry about your "possible approach" you state:

"HI
    Yes I understand that your interested in possible ways to approach get things in motion with your boat but it would help if you could let us know what is wrong and where the fault is. You my need to go to the dealership or to the factory depending on the issues with your boat. The guys at the factory are great and work hard for you."

Regards,

Ed
    Clermont, Fl
    2003 Outback - flawless