Default Bench testing an amp - safe to do?

Yesterday a new amp arrived from the big brown truck. The outer shipping box was fine but after getting it open, the box the amp itself came in had a decent sized hole crunched through it and was slightly crushed on one end. Seems apparent it went into the shipping box in this condition.

I documented it step by step with pictures in case I need to return it. After getting the amp out of all the packaging and styrofoam, cosmetically it appears to be fine. I was a little surprised though - new amp, not a refurb or used.

Since my boat is a bit gutted out right now I can't do a test very easily to verify it's working. I'm wondering about bench testing it in my garage. I could connect 12v power and remote-on via my little jump-pack jump starter thing and wire up a few speakers. Then use my ipod as a source into the RCAs.

I'm wondering how "safe" this is to do? Any risk of shorting something out, frying circuits, etc??
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I would probably connect direct to a battery (like the battery from your boat), rather than a jump pack.
    2013 Outback V

Should be no problem at all, but I would use a known good battery like Ian says instead of the jumper box.

PWI as usual...

Jumper pack will work fine. I did that when I got an amp from another member, just to make sure it was not damaged in transit. I hooked my hlcds to it with the iPod RCA input. Worked like a charm. No need to do it for a long period of time.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold